Thread: Will SQL Server 2000 run on Windows Server 2008

question Will SQL Server 2000 run on Windows Server 2008

Hi all,
    I have a small type of company where i had installed windows server 2000 in my database server. the server OS is Windows server 2003. but now i want to upgrading my windows server 2003 t windows server 2008. So i want to know that can I run our current sql server 2000 on windows server 2008? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Dr. V Guest

Will SQL Server 2000 run on Windows Server 2008

Yes you can install SQL SERVER 2000 on Windows Server 2008. Check the process:
    (1), In selecting the service account, you can choose to use a local account, you can also choose to use a domain user account, in order to facilitate the configuration, the user choose to "use" Local System account.
    (2), the choice of identity mode, to facilitate the configuration, the user have a "mixed model." The following entry in the sa password to remember, if you forget, you can not login service, data will not be used, the company has no password for the user to understand this. Of course, the user can not set a password.
    (3), In the absence of other SQL version installed, you can select the default name, the installation of other versions such as SQL 7.0, you need to input an instance name, SQL2000 support multiple instances of name.

You need to set SQL-Server configuration: For this click "settings - to set the database connection", select the server name, and the SA password. Once, SA password is entered when installing the SQL-Server. In general, the server name is <computer name>. Start SQL-Server service, the server must choose SQL-Server in the server. In the service, be sure to select "SQL Server" service. And to determine the formation of the green triangle on the left before that SQL-Server server has started. All the best.

Re: Will SQL Server 2000 run on Windows Server 2008

You need to modify the registry to deny users access to open saved search files or folders stored search capability in windows 2008. To modify the registry key, follow these steps:
    1) Click the "Start", click "Run" in the "Open" box, type Regedit, and then click "OK."
    2) Locate and expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ SearchFolder click the "Edit", then click "Permissions"
    Note down the permissions listed in this dialog box so that it can be restored after the initial value.
    3) Click "Advanced."
    4) Click to clear the "include the parent object from the inherited permissions" check box. The system will prompt you to click the "Copy"
    "Delete" or "cancel." Click the "Delete", then click "OK."
    5) You will receive a message that no one can access this registry key. Click "Yes", then click "OK".

Re: Will SQL Server 2000 run on Windows Server 2008

You need to installed on the server SQL Server 2000 with SP4, you are prompted to "proceedings before the installation created pending file operations. Run the program, you must restart the computer." That SP4 is not installed successfully before, restart the server, this tip continue to appear, start the Registry Editor, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager branch, remove Pending File Rename Operations project, and then reinstall SQL Server 2000 SP4 successfully. Then executed on the server netstat-an command, 1433 Port impressively, in "LISTENING" state, the failure of the client is set to TCP / IP connection, start the program, connect the successful completion of the error message no longer appears. Check and reply.

Recently Microsoft has improve security on RPC the changes requested DTC MSDTC as "NT Authority \ NetworkService" to run. This is the. NET Server's default option. In Windows NT and Windows 2000, default MSDTC service is "Local System" account is running. but "Registry Editor" incorrectly can cause serious problems that may need to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft does not guarantee that you can solve, "Registry Editor" problems caused by improper use. Use the "Registry Editor" at your own risk. All the best.