Thread: DDE problem in Windows XP

DDE problem in Windows XP

I am trying to correspond by means of a legacy 16-bit DDE server by writing an easy 16-bit DDE client using Borland Pascal with Windows. When I call the ddeInitialize purpose, I get a non-zero charge back, which I take for granted is a suitable instance handle. When I try to attach to the DDE server submission by passing a topic name but no service name, I get a non-zero discussion handle, but cannot do anything with it. If I identify the server name, the ddeConnect() function returns zero. DdeGetLastError() in addition returns zero.

Re: DDE problem in Windows XP

Further to this, you have to administer to get the customer and server talking to every additional. It come into view that performing a correlation of type XTYP_WILDCONNECT with the topic present but not the service name failed to locate the service you required but associated by evasion to a service called PROGMAN, which did not essentially hold up the topic you required. Anyway, at present that's sorted, you necessitate to right of entry to your DDE server (or at least a 16-bit client DLL) from a 32-bit XP client submission.

You have loaded 1998 vintage 16-bit business mapping software onto a system and you think it over played a number of OS files dealing with DDE functionality. After that software install, your DDE functionality connecting Microsoft Word 2000 and Access 2000 and Excel 2000 has been exaggerated. At present, when you try to open a Word document that was previously productively linked to an Access table, the Word document immediately hangs everlastingly as the DDE link attempts to initialize. You be able to still generate and link innovative documents to Access using ODBC.

Immediately a guess actually, have a look at the properties of your copy of ddeml.dll (the DDE Management Library). On your system (Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Version 2002 SP2, which is almost certainly indistinguishable to Win XP SP2 in this respect) the file version is 3.50.0.103, formation date 31 March 2003 02:00. If yours is considerably dissimilar from that, it may be worth backing up your original and copying the description suitable to your version of Windows XP from elsewhere. You were not capable to find several registry entries associated either with ddeml.dll or dde as a whole, excluding of course the numerous ddeexec entries used by the Windows shell.

From your experience when setting of innovative systems and copying/sharing Access databases to the innovative machines, you have to in addition copy to your Data Sources. This directory is found under the MY Documents directory. Expect this help at most excellent, that is an evasion folder and numerous users do not follow the Microsoft line of thinking and utilize those evasion folders as Microsoft predictable. Most likely it is a local or personal convention patterned after the naming convention used by Microsoft.

The Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped, DDE network shares determine to be engaged. If this service is put out of action, several services that unambiguously depend on it determine to fail to start. You have not found a superior utilize for this service. After the installation of Service Pack 2 or 3, this service is set from Manual to Disabled by evasion. Unless you utilize remote Clip Book, leave it disabled.