Thread: Pulling info out of windows.old

Pulling info out of windows.old

Hello friends,
    My operating system Windows Vista crashed suddenly. Now I want to install the whole operating system again. I am having very little idea about the windows.old. I am confused that after installing the Vista does the windows.old folder gets created.?? Also I was running some copies of the Microsoft Office and other applications like Photoshop. I just want to know that can I roll back if I can't get them to work.?? Guide me about the pulling info out of windows.old. Please help me soon.!!

Re: Pulling info out of windows.old

The file contains Windows.old all your programs and files from earlier versions of Windows. You can explore this folder to retrieve your files but you can not retrieve your programs. Once finished you'll have to get back all what you need, you can delete Windows.old. To permanently delete Windows.old must go to the Start Menu, steps in the research and then Disk Cleanup Click above. The program loads, then click on the file system clean.

Dr. V Guest

Determine if a record exists and if Windows.OLD free space on the Windows hard disk is sufficient :
    1. Start, Then click My Computer.
    2. In the View menu, click Details.
    3. In the Free Space column, note the amount of space available for Local Disk ( C: ) drive under Disk Drives.
    4. In the Hard Disk Drives, double-click Local Disk, then check if the file exists Windows.OLD.
    5. Click the right mouse button on the folder Windows.OLD.
    6. Windows Vista will determine the size of the folder after several seconds.

If the Windows.OLD folder does not exist, you will not able to restore the previous Windows installation on that computer.

You can also copy or move the contents of the Windows.OLD. At the command prompt, enter the following commands :
    Enter the following, then press Enter :
    • move / yc: \ windows.old \ windows c: \

Enter the following command and press Enter :
    • move / y "c: \ windows.old \ program files" c: \

When the previous Windows installation was a different version of Windows Vista, then
    • move / yc: \ windows.old \ users c: \
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

You have to install most of the programs. Though programs files are intact on another partition, but other information like their registry data are not existing in this new Windows 7. By viewing the files by date the old Windows, you can sometimes isolate the data files of the program itself the Data files are newer. If you have a directory Windows.old, it is likely that you have wrong during installation requesting installation in a new directory to be updated.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley