Thread: BIOS update in Windows 7 using DOS

BIOS update in Windows 7 using DOS

Hi friends,
    I am having a system in which I want to update my BIOS. I was just having a doubt that can I update the BIOS using the DOS.?? I am using the Windows 7 operating system. I am not having much knowledge about the BIOS and the flashing that is related with it. So thought that you guys can help me in this topic. Please tell me how to update my bios under DOS in Windows 7?? Help me as soon as you can.!!
    "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death... I will fear no evil." -Psalms 23

K8N Diamond Plus (BIOS v1.2)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Antec TruControl 550W
    NVidia GeForce 7900GT (NGO v1.8466 BETA)
    OCZ Platinum 2x1GB (2-3-2-5)
    SATA: WD740
    PATA: 2xWD2500, WD1200, NEC DVD/RW

Re: BIOS update in Windows 7 using DOS

I do not know if you definitely want to DOS, but are tools that run under windows very simple and reliable flash. You can also use the WinFlash tool manufacturer of the motherboard. I think that will be better option for you to update the BIOS rather than doing it in DOS. Also you are not having much knowledge (as you said), then I would recommend you not to do such things because doing that may hamper your motherboard.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

BIOS updates is one of the most critical processes and that a failure in the same and we can stay without a computer without being able to even start it. So it is always recommended to do this under DOS, not Windows or another operating system to avoid any process that could hinder the process. If you are having Dell, then it provides updates to run from Windows there are many users who do not use this operating system as they have Linux or Mac OS X installed, in this case is the only way to update, and updates to DELL will not do, so that in these cases there is no choice but to use a bootable flash drive and flash (update) the BIOS from DOS.
    Whats my name again? I spend so much time looking at code i fogot my own name ahhh!

Once downloaded the BIOS update package and have connected the pendrive ready and perform the following steps :
    1. Run the update package. The following window appears indicating that once the process is carried out will remove all data from the USB drive. To continue click Yes.
    2. Clicking Yes will briefly see a window where they are decompressed files, the end is deleted automatically.
    3. Once unpacked main menu will appear which just press the first option on the left, Install to a USB Flash Drive.
    4. When you click Install to a USB Flash Drive will see a dropdown to select the USB where installed, is very important to choose correctly because otherwise delete the contents of the USB.
    5. Having selected the USB and press OK appears briefly the progress window while you prepare the image to the pendrive.
    6. Once you finish the end of the message and press OK again to the main menu where there will be only click the last button of Diagnostic Media for Creating Finished to close the utility.
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card

I think that you should know some basic things before doing the updates. The BIOS (Basic Input - Output System) is the first program that is launched at computer startup. It provides the link between hardware components and operating system. There are two main families of Bios :
    • Award
    • AMI

Knowledge of BIOS is particularly useful :
    • When you climb a computer yourself, to set the FSB speed in relation to its processor.
    • When you want to overclock their computer.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

I would suggest you to update Bios using the MSI Live Update. First you will have to download MSI Live Update software. MSI Live Update can also update the drivers for the motherboard. When starting the program, the Information tab displays the versions of installed software and Bios. Go to the onget Live Update and then click on Search. After the search, do the following things :
    • Compare versions installed with the online versions,
    • Select the versions to update,
    • Click on Download.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series