Thread: Linux kernel .config file

Linux kernel .config file

Hello,
    Please check the following code
    Code:
    # Ifdef CONFIG_CODE
    code
    # Endif
    Suppose I run a make menuconfig having added the option for my code. When I select my option this will be reflected by a CONFIG_CODE = y in the. Config. What I'm wondering is: what tool and when the CONFIG_CODE = y is transformed into #Define CONFIG_CODE?. Am I going in the correct direction, if I am wrong then please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: Linux kernel .config file

Hello,
    I can not answer you in detail because I do not know the particular case of Linux, but I'll just say "probably before compiling the rest of the nucleus, as a tool house. Under NetBSD, it is managed by config (1), just before compiling the kernel. But why do you know that? It should be transparent to you, anyway.

Hello,
    Even I do need to configure the linux kernel file, but I do not have much idea about it. I have tried may time to modify it and see what are the results, but the file is not modified and when I open it the next time there are no modification seen. If you guys have a idea about it then please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
    Personally, it's been a decade that I use with Linux kernels compiled "by hand" and I confess that I never felt the need to go elsewhere to have the make config and company (with handy "make oldconfig") so it would be interesting, first, to answer question rz0 and tell us why you want to go fiddling the kernel code. I go every release of a new kernel version because I find a detailed description of the new options for config quite useful but there are also sections "Kernel hacking", "Kernel documentation or wiki where you should find your happiness.

Hello,
    No, this is not what I need exactly and this is not my exact problem. I do not particularly want to touch kernel code but I just wanted to understand how the act of choosing a particular option in make menuconfig is represented so that much of the kernel code is compiled. It's just curiosity, because I understand that if I do modify the linux kernel then I will be in great trouble.