Thread: excessive cpu usage by Windows Vista ultimate

excessive cpu usage by Windows Vista ultimate

I just won Windows Vista Ultimate in a Gaming Competition which was held at my college. My computer config is good with quad core processor and enough to run this OS and meets its minimum requirement quite easily. So I installed it and it was running fine with no problems at all. Then I thought starting up task manager to see what processes are running. There I was quite surprised to know that even if I keep my system idle atleast 30 % of CPU usage is always being used. Usually the program that was running most of the time was svchost. Any ideas what could be the problem here cause I am stumped.
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Re: excessive cpu usage by Windows Vista ultimate

It might be some trojan issues that you are facing. Try system restore to go to a previous state where your computer was running fine. Below are the procedures how to go in system restore:

1. Right click on the icon my computer go to system restore then put a tik on stop system restore for all stations , apply ,then ok .
    2. Run full system scan and delete the trojan if you find it or put it a carentien if you do not know what to do .
    3. Restart the computer and see it if it work properly and also run full system scan again .if it is clean then your pc is now 100 % clean from the trojan .
    4. After 1 or 2 days also scan your computer and then repeat step no.1 again by going to system restore and hier cancel the tik you put on stop system restore for all the stations , apply , then ok .

Before coming to a conclusion, did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Can you please post your full Computer Specifications? As you have already told us that you use quad core processor, could you also tell us how much amount of ram you are using? What is your hard drive size and free space at the moment? Are you or are you not using any Security programs like firewall or an antivirus as such?

It is a sure case of virus infections in your pc and I can bet all my money. What you can do is download HijackThis and install it on your pc. Start it and let it scan your pc and in the end you will get a report. Copy and paste that report here so that we can Diagnose your problem. Alternately you can refer to some guide made on HijackThis on our forums to get a better idea what it does: HijackThis - How to use HijackThis? What it dose?

Have you tried the Process Explorer from microsoft, you can download it from here. This tool is used to check what different processes are rising up the cpu resources in your pc. The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work. I also think that there is a similar type of tool built into Vista but dont know where is it located.

I have noticed this problem with many Vista users and therefore I also use the Process Explorer to keep a watch on my CPU Usage on my laptop. This problem usually occurs when our pc encounters a problem and afterwards wants us to send report to microsoft. And if you suspend it or any similar kind of operation then notice the CPU drops to normal. You can also kill the process which wont effect your pc if you dont want to send the report and all this things take care of the problem for me.