Thread: Missing Icon of D Drive in Windows 7

Missing Icon of D Drive in Windows 7

Hi to all. Last week I have bought a new system that has got Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium operating system installed. I had no issues with it till day before yesterday, after which the icon of my D Drive icon is missing. When I click on My computer I am able to see the C and E Drive but the D drive is found to be missing. How can I get it back?

Size of each respective partition

Before going ahead with any troubleshooting steps or any solution my suggestion is that you provide the hardware configuration of your system. Because without that it will be a guess work to uproot the actual cause, as there are a number of possibilities for the problem that you have described. Mainly provide the Hard disk size and also the size of each respective partition.

System Configuration in Windows 7

How would I get all the details of the system configuration in Windows 7. I have not used it much so hence I do not know much of the operating process for Windows 7. I was very much familiar with my earlier Windows XP Service Pack II operating system. So please provide the method to get the details required.

Re: Missing Icon of D Drive in Windows 7

1. Place your cursor on My Computer and right click on it.
    2. Select the Manage option.
    3. Browse to Storage option in the Left Pane of Computer management window and click on it.
    4. Over here you would have to select the Disk Management option.
    5. Now in the Right Pane the disk drive letters will be displayed.
    6. Here the number of hard drives will also be shown.

This will help you to get the details of your hard drive/s connected to your computer. Check if the letter D Drive is existing here or not.

Boot in Safe Mode

First of all I would suggest you to go through the basic steps of troubleshooting. This issue can also be a reason because of a virus or a trojan infection. Thus I suggest you to update your anti-virus database. Boot your machine to safe mode by rebooting it and tapping on the F8 key. Check if your missing Drive icon is located or not.

Re: Missing Icon of D Drive in Windows 7

I also had a similar issue with my Dell computer as well. The icon of my E Drive was missing although I was able to play songs through the playlist of the Media player. This happened with me with my Windows Vista operating system. So here are the solution which I feel should work for you:
    • Look for any autorun file in the root drive of your system and delete if found.
    • Look for any desktop.ini in the root drive of your system and delete if found.