Thread: Hppusg.exe application error at startup

Hppusg.exe application error at startup

Hi,

I have a HP DeskJet 5550 printer. After installing the Hp software from CD that came along with the printer, I started getting the error message, "hppusg.exe-common language runtime debugging services. Application has generated an exception that could not be handled." Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have a windows xp as my operating system.

Re: Hppusg.exe application error at startup

USB cables used to connect HP Deskjet products must be at least five meters. This is the maximum permissible length imposed by the electrical properties of the USB standard and can not be exceeded. Must install a powered hub if you need more length. Powered USB hubs provide additional USB ports for connecting other peripherals and provides enough energy to activate those additional devices. The HP Deskjet printer should be plugged into a computer USB port or a USB hub.

Verify that the PC supports USB and check the USB chipset :

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
    2. Select the Device Manager tab. (In Windows 2000 Device Manager appears on the Hardware tab).
    3. The USB ports must have a port controller and root hub (see Figure 1). If these entries are not present (or if they have a yellow exclamation point or question mark next to him), the USB port is not enabled on your computer's BIOS. The USB controller drivers have a problem or the USB controller has a problem. The customer must request assistance from the manufacturer.

USB devices normally obtain some energy to activate the USB communication through the USB cable. The detection of a device can occur with power levels as low as 100mA, but 500mA may be needed to maintain high-speed communication with USB powered full. It is known that these problems exist on some computers, USB hubs and USB peripherals connected to function as hubs.

Try hot-plug the USB cable. USB chipsets used in some computers have a problem when you must hot-plug USB cable in order to resume the USB communication. To connect the hot wire with the computer and the printer connected and ready, disconnect the USB cable from the computer and printer. Wait five seconds and plug the USB cable on both the computer again as in the HP Deskjet.

There is a problem in Windows XP may cause problems of disconnection. By default, Windows XP tries to disable USB when not using the printer to save energy. Another possible symptom of the problem is that the PC will not shut down properly after connecting a USB device. A power management settings of the USB root hub properties causes this problem. To correct this problem, do the following:
    1. Click Start and right-click My Computer.
    2. Click Properties and select the Hardware tab.
    3. Click the Device Manager button.
    4. Double-click the branch Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand it.
    5. With the right mouse button, click USB Root Hub and then click Properties.
    6. Click the Power Management tab.
    7. Deselect the check box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    8. Click OK and then close the Device Manager.

I think everyone is missing something here, if it was a USB problem it wouldn't be an error message such as the one given.
    It would be more than likely to say USB is unplugged or unrecognised USB device detected.

The actual error if you apply some brain power to it is, a error with the software! namely the common language runtime debugging services! surprised?

This means that some part of the installation of the software has gone wrong. and is unable to understand how to debug it. I am currently having the same issue with a networked computer and printer and i assure you this is not a USB cable problem!

With a bit of guess work, I can only think that the printer (MFD) has a USB dependency which if not connected too breaks the application and shows that error.

If i find any more information on this issue i will post it here.

Cypher

Okay i have found a very useful forum post!

The basic issue is that the hppusg.exe is a product survey and is not needed by the system. If you read the link below it will tell you how to remove it and fix the problem!

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1116430

Cypher.