Thread: MAC OSX - Kernal trap error + Hardware test code

MAC OSX - Kernal trap error + Hardware test code

Hi there!

Hopefully someone can shed some light here.

Imac 20" PPC running 10.3.9
    The fan's been running hard lately and also had some trouble having to restart after longer periods of sleep as it would not come out of it.

After I attached a firewire drive the next time restart produced an unresolved kernal trap. I got the machine to reboot a few times fully so the HDD is fine but could not reboot with the install disk or apple hardware test disk.

Pulled the ram and get the same kernal trap error on either stick but with the original 256 ram stick I have eventually got the hardware disk to load and get a logic board error of:

212C/1/1: Ox00000092.

Does anyone have a list of tech error codes so at least I can tell if it just needs a certain reset or basically if the logic board is cactus (not worth fixing).

Thanks heaps!

Re: MAC OSX - Kernal trap error + Hardware test code

Quick update. Error is 2I2C/1/1: Ox00000092

After reconnecting the ethernet I can pretty much boot off the HDD every as long a there is no CD/DVD in the slot drive.

Only problem is it eventually goes to the grey message of death after several minutes.

With the ethernet connected I cuold also get to the single user mode and the fsck command fixed a smaller error and a second forced fsck -fy showed all ok on the drive.

Thought this might help.
    Last edited by stumidd; 07-03-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Try using Apple Hardware Test for once and see what output you are getting. This looks like some kind of internal flaw which is causing the issue. There can be a damage component in the system which is causing the problem. To make sure that the test run properly you have to disconnect all attach hardware in your system. Just leave it turned on. Restart the mac system and at the same time hold the D key from the keyboard. This will launch Apple Hardware Test. You have to choose language and location and then you have to let the test run for few seconds.

In your problem the error code which you had listed shows up two different issue. The first can be due to ram. You have to check the rams are proper or not. There are some memory testing tool which you can run to find out the same. The second issue occur due to bad thermal calibration. You have to run a full diagnostic test to find which hardware is causing the issue or your system has some thermal problem. You can use Apple Service Diagnostics for the same. This tool will give you all required information about your problem.