Thread: Wireless internet connection in linux

Wireless internet connection in linux

Hello sir !

I need some guidance regarding the wireless connection with internet on the Linux operating system.I am unable to configure the wireless networking.Before some time,I was running with windows and performing networking options but not getting anything in Linux.Would you suggest me to establish the network connection in the Linux operating system.

Thanks.

Wireless internet connection in linux

Wireless internet connection

Before connection,you need to gather all the information regarding diagnosis and working principal and mechanism of wireless technology. First make sure which type of device you are using ? USB ,PCI card or built-in facility provided by system? The brand-name for the wireless connection is not so needed but provide it also.

The connection takes place when you have some required device and different commands are being used to find out the configuration of the network devices.

Finding the configuration for wireless connection

Finding the configuration

The current configuration can be obtained using the following command,execute it in the terminal and show me the output.

Code:
    lspci -knn > lspci.txt
    The configuration of current device ststus would be stored in the file named lspci.txt and you can use other editors to evaluate the same information.

iwconfig For wireless-tools Configuration

iwconfig For wireless-tools Configuration

The installation of physical Linux supported NIC devices, you have to settings the NIC's IP and wireless configuration before Wireless tools come into action. You can easily configure the NIC's IP configurations which is an Ethernet device.Use the ifup command to make NIC active but the desired task wouldn't be performed and you need to change the wireless settings which is not configured now.

Commonly iwconfig command is used to make the Wireless Tools active and you have to enter the above suggested command.If the wireless NIC is tagged as eth0 and your managed network's ESSID is homenet then the commands would be as follows:

Code:
    iwconfig eth0 mode Managed
    iwconfig eth0 essid homenet

Permanent wireless-tools Configuration

The wireless configuration needs some additional parameters into the NIC configuration files With Fedora and RedHat.The configuation steps would be as follows:
    1. Open the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file normally which contains the following parameters :

DHCP Version Fixed IP Version
    ============ =================

DEVICE=eth0 DEVICE=eth0
    ........... ..............
    ........ .........
    ....... .......

2. Add the given below parameter to mention that the NIC configured as wireless.
    Code:
    #
    # Wireless configuration
    #
    TYPE=Wireless
    MODE=Managed
    ESSID=homenet
    RATE=54Mb/s

WEP Encryption Configuration

WEP Encryption Configuration

Linux is compatible with both the WEP and WPA encryption schemes.Here's some guidelines to configure both schemes on your system.

The WEP key (created a random one with the help of dd command )is added to your NIC configuration using command line associated with iwconfig command.
    The key should not contains any non-hexadecimal characters or colons and issued with the iwconfig command.

Code:
    iwconfig eth0 key 967136deac

Re: Wireless internet connection in linux

Hi can someone please explain to me how i set the linux operating system for wireless conection on a notebook please ive just bought it and it has been reset to factory setting if someone can explain in english please as i am not a computer wis please help

Re: Wireless internet connection in linux

Quote Originally Posted by peterlee246 View Post
    Hi can someone please explain to me how i set the linux operating system for wireless conection on a notebook please ive just bought it and it has been reset to factory setting if someone can explain in english please as i am not a computer wis please help
    Well, you will need to give us more information about how did your notebook reset to factory settings? Were you using linux on this notebook from start or did it come with Windows operating system preinstalled? In any case you can go to the below link to configure wireless on any linux operating system:

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials...th-these-tools