Thread: Slow copy speed in Windows 7

Slow copy speed in Windows 7

Hi, I'm getting too much slow data copying speed with windows 7. When i connect my external hard disk to pc having windows 7 and i do data transfer i get the speed of near about 1Mbps but as i test my external hard disk with my notebook having windows xp sp3 installed on it and it gives me speed of 40Mpbs , this is really huge difference in data transfer speed. And i expects more and far better performance from windows 7 than xp. Is it the case with all you guys? or i missed something to install in windows 7? thank you

Windows 7 data copy speed from external HD

See what happens when you try to copy a few files instead of transferring the large files. Connect the External HD to different port and test the difference.

Try copying files within the same partition. The file copy speed is constrained more by the speed of the hard disk for the OS.

Increase files copy speed in Windows 7

What are your system specs? How much RAM you are using on system which having windows 7? Is the enough HD space is empty on windows 7 machine? increase the cache limit. Also of system RAM is less the don't forget to upgrade it. Windows 7 is not better in terms of performance as compare to windows xp sp3 but its not much less also as you saying. There must be some Hardware issue with your system, as said by shahid khan in above post , try out the different USB ports.

Improve Windows 7 performace

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Speed Up Windows Copying Process With ExtremeCopy

Try out some 3rd party applications to test the copy paste speed of your windows system, i have used the ExtremeCopy utility. ExtremeCopy is a utility to copy Windows files much like a TeraCopy, RichCopy utilities that supports copy, move files and folders extremely quickly and easily. The utility has been created with some powerful features including pause copy process, error recovery, etc.

Re: Slow copy speed in Windows 7

My guess is that you need to update the drivers for windows 7. Specially you motherboard and graphics card drivers. Upgrading the RAM or processor will be good if required. Use some registry cleaner application to remove unnecessary registry entries from your system. Also disable your antivirus application while copying the data from external HD but first make sure that its virus free, reply back if your issue is related to something else.