Thread: Mounting file system in Linux

Mounting file system in Linux

Hello sir,

I am using the Linux operating system and getting some difficulties to mount my USB disk.Before some times when I get connect through USB to the port,that was working fine but now when I get connect It disappears from desktop.As I don't know more about this operating system,I didn't know how to perform the Add hardware wizard as we did in windows.Please give me some solution for this.

Thanks

Mounting file system in Linux

Mounting file system in Linux :

A file is automatically mounted due to startup,In the case of external devices when it get connect it comes up automatically on the Desktop but if you are not getting your icon on the desktop you can check the mount devices in /mnt/usbdrive file system.

This is the place where mounted devices are stored,you can access that from here also.The desktop method is for user friendly purpose.

But If you are not getting yet then you need to create a mount point for your device.

Mounting USB or External disk in Linux

Mounting the External File System :

Linux stores all the devices with a name in /Dev.The /dev/sda1 is pretty common for external hard drives means the USB.If you are not sure that which device would be used to mount your external device.Type df command into your terminal.

This command will list all the dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and as well as /dev/sda1(External device).To mount it at certain place,you need to perform some steps as below :

mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

This command will create a directory named usbdrive and the second command will mount the device at the /dev/sda1 location to the /mnt/usbdrive directory.

Dr. V Guest

Generic Mount points in Linux

Generic Mount points in Linux :

A logical place is reserved for the mounted devices,Only Root user is allowed to create the directory there called /mnt directory.Redhat Linux packed with default property of mount points for floppy, a CD-ROM, and a parallel port Zip drive.

To export a file or directory from a server,the four options are listed below which can be changed by etc/fstab file:

Code:

/dev/fd0   	     /mnt/floppy  	 auto   	 noauto 0 1
    /dev/cdrom 	     /mnt/cdrom 	 iso9660 	 ro,noauto 0 1
    /dev/zip 	           /mnt/zip 	         vfat 	 auto,exec 0 1
    server:/exported/mnt/server  	nfs 	defaults
    Last edited by Dr. V; 15-02-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Automount In the Terminal

Automount In the Terminal :

During the connection of external device,you can again face the problem of mounting and all.You can make your connection identification permanently to edit the /etc/fstab file.

You need to simply add the following statement in the bottom of your parameter :

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive ext3 defaults 0 0

The first argument tells what device to mount ,second tells to the system where to mount it,third argument specifies the filesystem type (ext3),default says the setting would be default at startup and fifth and sixth says that if the filesystem should be reversed up using the dump utility, and the second zero tells the system whether to process the device when fsck is run.

differece between ext2 and ext3

The ext2 and ext3

The ext2 and ext3 are important file system of Linux operating.It doesn't provide the performance only it also provides symbolic links, hard links, permissions, case sensitivity.

FAT16/FAT32/NTFS are the different Windows file systems but Linux is able to read this just because of contained drivers.There are so many complexity to combining the windows to Linux.The number of Symbolic links prevents to the Unix/Linux software to execute the Windows file system.That's why the compatibility errors are occurred every time when we need to combine the Linux and Windows.