Thread: Problem repairing permissions in Leopard

Problem repairing permissions in Leopard

I just made the upgrade from Tiger with no trouble so far identified. by repair permissions on my newly installed Leopard from Tiger (update), I got this:
    "Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi "has been modified and will not be repaired" 8-line monitoring of the same ilk with different file path.

Is this a major problem? What is the best option to choose for the firewall: I selected "allow only essential services", is it better? because it is true that for me who do not know much, it does not seem super clear!

So thank you to give me the best option:
    1 - allow all incoming connections;
    2 - allow only essential services;
    3 - define access to certain services and applications;

THANKS, in advance.

Re: Problem repairing permissions in Leopard

If you did not apply alien who operates the network, and if you do not know about these masses, I think the options you have chosen is the best compromise between security and flexibility.

For the message of permissions, this is nothing. It indicates that the permissions were changed and that is normal. So it does not change.

This messages may appear in the Disk Utility log window when repairing disk permissions.

Apple response on this message:

You can ignore these messages. You can also ignore not usually "ACL found but not expected ..." message. These messages can occur if you modify the permissions on a file or directory. These messages are accurate, but is generally not a cause for concern.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Disk Utility you can check and fix problems with the disk and permissions. Mac OS X v10.6.x, Disk Utility can only verify and repair permissions for other discs Mac OS X v10.6.x. If you wish to inspect or repair Mac OS X v10.5.x or earlier, it is necessary to use a Leopard disk or a previous version.

For starters, when you throw a repair authorization, the system runs several processes:
    • Mds which consumes 20% of a CPU Xeon 3 GHz
    • Installdb that will capture the full power of a heart, almost 97%
    • Followed repair_packages who also will do the same with 97% of resources.

If these things are done fairly quickly on an Intel Mac it is already slower than with previous versions of Mac OS X but they saw the ordeal squarely with a less powerful machine that can exist to grind for an hour to all check!
    Note that a fairly common bug occurs also for those who have installed the latest update Apple Remote Desktop Client. They are entitled to the following error:

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi "has been modified and will not be repaired" 8-line monitoring of the same ilk with different file path
    No opportunity is given to repair one way or another. It will certainly update the update to fix this little bug.

It is more likely that this important function in Leopard will be optimized in future updates. As it stands, it is difficult to use while it remains the best way to resolve strange behavior of the system.