Thread: Disabling display of all account usernames on login screen in Windows 7

Disabling display of all account usernames on login screen in Windows 7

While starting the windows 7 when the login screen appears it shows all the usernames. But for some security reason i would like to hide the user names which appear on the login screen from the other users who are accessing this machine. I know how to do in in windows XP but in windows 7 i am unable to achieve this please help me to achieve this.

Re: Disabling display of all account usernames on login screen in Windows 7

I think you need to specify the version of your windows that means specify it more clearly whether you are using the windows 7 home edition or windows 7 professional edition or the windows 7 ultimate edition. Since it would be better if you describe that in your further replies. So that i can suggest you a good solution.

Thanks for replying me as you asked about the windows 7 version i am using the windows 7 home edition also i think that in all the version of windows 7 similar procedure had to be followed. So why are you bothered about the windows 7 version anyways thanks for replying me i am using the windows 7 home edition.

To hide the username from the login screen you need to set a group policy so you will have to set the Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name policy from the group policy. You can get it in the group policy in the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\ hope you got the solution.

For achieving this you need to perform the following steps which i have mentioned below :

* Open start menu in the runbox type "control userpasswords2" and then press the Enter key.
    * On the "Users" tab, check "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" apply this setting.
    * On the "Advanced" tab, check "Require uses to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" under "secure logon" section.
    * Click OK.

Sorry for replying so late as you stated that you are using the windows 7 home edition you can have this through the group policy object or through the windows registry so go to the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\ option. hoe this will resolve the issue.