Thread: RECOVERY.DAT error while Windows 7 installation

RECOVERY.DAT error while Windows 7 installation

Hello there, I have a Macbook Pro which is installed with Mac OS X Snow leopard on it. I am using Bootcamp utility to install Windows 7 on the Macbook but I am not able to install it on the Macbook. Whenever I start the installation process, it starts and then the system gives RECOVERY.DAT error and then the installation quits. I am not able to install Windows Operating system on my Macbook, so if anybody is facing the similar RECOVERY.DAT error while Windows 7 installationon Mac system, then Please share some information which may help me in solving the problem.

Re: RECOVERY.DAT error while Windows 7 installation

I am also facing the same problem while installation of Windows 7 on my iBook which is installed with Mac OS X 10.4 on it. No matter how many times I have tried but I am not able to install Windows 7 on the iBook. It gives the same error and then shuts itself down. I tried doing many troubleshooting steps but all in vain. I think the Windows 7 is not compatible to be installed on the Mac system. But still if anybody has a solution then please let us know.

It is possible that the installation disk which you are using for the Windows 7 installation is corrupt and hence you are not able to install the operating system on the Macbook. If the installation disk itself is corrupt then during the installation the system will not be able to access some files on the disk which will create problems like the one you are facing. Try installation of the operating system using some other installation disk and then see if the system gives the same error or not. If the system gives the same error even after using some other disk, then there is something wrong with the system.

Recovery.Dat error indicates that the Windows installation is not able to access the recovery partition on the hard drive. During Installation of the Windows 7, the operating system creates a recovery partition on the hard drive. If the partition is not accessible then installer gives Recovery.Dat error. The only way to solve the problem is to physically delete the partition from the hard drive and then start the installation again. As you have Mac operating system installed on the iBook it will not be much of a problem to delete the recovery partition. Once the partition is deleted, start the installation process again.

There is one more way in which the recovery partition of the Windows 7 can be deleted. Create a bootable CD or a bootable USB drive and then boot the system from the drive. Once the system boots from the bootable drive, find and select the partition drive and then delete it. The system will prompt you Not to delete the Partition, ignore it and delete in anyways. Once the partition is deleted remove the bootable drive and then boot the system normally using the Install disk of Windows 7. The system will not prompt you with the same error again. To boot the system from the bootable drive you will have to change the booting priority of the drives from the BIOS.

Sometimes there are some problems faced while creating partitions using the Bootcamp utility. If the partition created using bootcamp is corrupt then the Windows will not get installed on the partition properly and will give errors while installation. Hence I would suggest you to delete the partition on which the Windows 7 is installed and format it using Mac HD format. Once the Partition is formatted again, create partition using bootcamp utility and then try to install Windows operating system again on the partition. Hopefully you will not get the same error while installation on the fresh partition.