Thread: Partition error in Snow Leopard

Partition error in Snow Leopard

Due to some issue I had decided to re-install and initialize my MaC book. For this I had downloaded a installation guide. But I had faced a error on the beginning of the installation. I need some basic information on partitions and volume settings of a hard drive. This are the options which were accessible when the DVD installation starts.

Re: Partition error in Snow Leopard

Volume Settings comes in the formatting tool. In this menu, specify the number of partitions you want You are free to decide freely on the subject and you create (or not) the number of partitions you want. Having determined in this menu the number of partitions you want, it will then appear in the small window located just below.

Under Volume Information select precisely in this window partitions freshly created, the first of them by clicking once to the drunk. Under Volume Information, enter the name of this partition ( Name), for example OS X, format (Choose the format Mac OS Extended (Journaled),ie HFS +) and its size. Repeat this for each of your partitions.

Also note that you can in the partition window, play with the sliders between each partition to increase or decrease the size of the latter. Under SNOW LEOPARD, it is even possible to edit on the fly the size of a partition. Indeed, if you want to resize a partition on your hard drive, you can do without the initialize (thus preserving all data contained therein).

You can reduce the size of a partition to add a new free-space created. However, there are some limitations. Like for example it is impossible to see another partition that could take place by the first released. This would move the free space, something impossible to do with Disk Utility. In addition, an Intel Mac is required, since the partition type should be GUID.

Personally, I much prefer to use Drive Genius for this kind of operation because these two programs are more flexible, offer more opportunities and less speedy. A name, a format and size have been given to each of your partitions? Then just click the Apply button at the bottom right. Beware, if you partition your hard drive it is very important to choose the appropriate partition scheme, if the installation of Mac OS X becomes impossible.