Thread: Boot MAC from Clone

Boot MAC from Clone

Hi,
    How to re-install MAC in case of system error. I have a DVD installation disc of the same. What I want to do here is first to create partition in a drive and then initialize the hard drive. But for the same case can this be done with a clone disk image file. If yes then how to do that. Other than this I have a DVD installation disc for the same. I can run from that too. how to initialize, format and partition the hard drive with disk utility.

Re: Boot MAC from Clone

It is possible to create a partition from a external hard drive. By this the OS X volume boots the operating system from it. The same can be used by the operating system for the software optimization process. You can use the tools for maintenance like TechTool Pro, Drive Genius or Disk Warrior. By this you can boot from any drive without the need of a bootable disc.

Dr. V Guest

The application Disk Utility located on the DVD installation of Apple operating system. So, you have an application Disk Utility on your installation DVD of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Boot that on your system and follow the onscreen instruction. As all the operating system today supports GUI mode. The same is applicable for MAC also.

For cons, the golden rule to remember when deciding to initialize and partition a hard drive is to ALWAYS start on either the DVD installation. To run this, after inserting your OS X DVD in the Mac, restart by pressing the C key. Or on another hard drive with a bootable OS X partition (clone). This must have the clone data installed in it. You can boot that simply by runnign the installation from that.

Boot from the installation DVD if you plan to initialize / partition the hard disk, then install OS X from the install DVD on hard disk initialized / partitioned. Or else boot from another hard disk (clone) if you plan to initialize / partition the main hard drive, then clone the boot partition (the other disk) to a partition on your main hard disk (cloning the clone).

After booting if you use the installation DVD OS X, insert the installation DVD SNOW LEOPARD in your computer, then double-click Install Mac OS X. Follow the instructions on the screen. Click on Tools and then click Restart. Your Mac will restart when the installation DVD of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Once the boot DVD is finished, go to menu Tools and choose Disk Utility.