Thread: How to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service

How to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service

I have been running Windows 7 that i have installed recently and looking for way that will disable the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service for some reason but could not find the way so that i can make this thing happen so any one have the idea about How to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service can help me with the proper solution. Any help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: How to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service

I don't know why you want to stop this service but if you wish to do the same then i can help you with the procedure that will stop this service for you. To disable the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service you have to go to the Registry editor Window and there look for the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" and on the DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout set the value to 5 and its done.

Actually the dwm.exe is running in the background every time when i start the computer so i have want to disable the dwm.exe permanently as it is creating some problem with the Aero theme. So explain me complete procedure in detail as i am new for this Windows 7 technology. I hope to get this in step wise manner. Thanks

OK, As per your request i am giving you the complete procedure to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service in step wise manner. So just go through the below given procedure and get rid of the dwm.exe.
    • Click on the Start
    • Click on search and type regedit
    • Now in the Registry Windows go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"
    • After that on the Right pane Duuble click on the DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout
    • And in the value field of the same enter the value to '5' and click on OK
    • Now Close the Registry Window from the file menu
    • Restart the system to take the change effect

I have been through the same problem that is about to disable the same. I have got the issue of the solid color and that i have been searching a lot and finally i got the solution of the same some time ago so i am passing you the link of the same to get your self rid of this dwm.exe. It is really working go with it see the working of the same. Thanks
    Disable DWM

Are sure that you want to disable the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service. Because after disabling the same you can not see the Aero theme that is the main feature of the Windows 7. But no issue if you want to disable the same you have to visit the Microsoft site. Here is the link
    Microsoft

I have been having problems with the Desktop Window Manager. It tends to crash when I am playing Left4Dead or Battlefield. There is another way to disable it without editing the registry. Go here
    >Start
    >Control Panel
    >Administrative Tools
    >Services
    >Look down the list for 'Desktop Window Manager Session Manager' and double click. Select startup type 'Disabled' and reboot the machine or just force the service to stop.

I can't see any difference to the machine other than removal of the stupid window preview feature that I never use anyway and now my machine no longer bombs back to desktop mid-frag

FYI, These instructions do not work for Windows 7 Home Premium: there is no item in System called, "DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout". I will proceed with the Microsoft instructions via Services as posted elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    OK, As per your request i am giving you the complete procedure to disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service in step wise manner. So just go through the below given procedure and get rid of the dwm.exe.
    • Click on the Start
    • Click on search and type regedit
    • Now in the Registry Windows go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"
    • After that on the Right pane Duuble click on the DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout
    • And in the value field of the same enter the value to '5' and click on OK
    • Now Close the Registry Window from the file menu
    • Restart the system to take the change effect

Quote Originally Posted by stvnmia View Post
    FYI, These instructions do not work for Windows 7 Home Premium: there is no item in System called, "DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout". I will proceed with the Microsoft instructions via Services as posted elsewhere...
    There is no need to edit the registry, just switch off the service. See my post above.