Thread: Key Combinations in Linux based operating system

Key Combinations in Linux based operating system

Hi,
    What are the keyboard combination which can help me to access the system part of a Linux based operating system. I have a Ubuntu system where my mouse does not work some time. I need some tips of keyboard shortcuts that can show me console of system part. Like to kill process or to run the SIGKILL command. Thank sin advance.

Re: Key Combinations in Linux based operating system

The key combination are those keys set that can place orders directly to the kernel. They are useful in case of crash (black screen, hs mouse, keyboard ...), apparently blocked because they can save you from having recourse to brutal reset. It is the kernel that handles keyboard input, and transmits the codes corresponding to different devices.

Yes by this you can access and work on system quiet fast. There are some reserved key combinations like SysReq + Alt + R (Raw) - the codes raw ds keys will be sent, SysReq + Alt + S : empty buffers or disk cache, SysReq + Alt + U - Unmount apart partitions and remounted readonly, etc.They are more comibination you can look for the same on internet.

Keys like SysReq + Alt + E sends the signal SIGTERM applications for a stay clean. Then comes SysReq + Alt + I termed as kill process sends the signal SIGKILL to the application for a forced shutdown. And SysReq + Alt + B is for reboot your systme. For the keyboard you can check for the SysReq PrintScr or PrintScreen as the common one for all.

These buttons only work if the kernel itself does not crash, of course, but we need the corresponding option (Kernel Hacking>> Magic SysRq keys) has been selected when compiling. Some distributions and compile their kernels, others not. There is another combination of keys that allows, if planted, to kill the X server and return to the console: Ctrl + Alt + backspace.

Dr. V Guest

It is not quiet easy to list up all the key combination used in linux. But here are some which are related to system. Like for show_memory you have to press Shift+Scrolllock. Then for show_register you have to press AltGr-ScrollLock. And so on for show_state press Ctrl-ScrollLock, Alt-Fn and Ctrl-Alt-Fn will give you Console_n, Alt-RightArrow for Incr_Console, etc.