Thread: Disk Defragment for optimizing the Prefetch

Disk Defragment for optimizing the Prefetch

Hi,
    I am performing Disk Defragmentation regularly to speed up my Windows XP. My friend told me that if I can able to optimize or configure the Prefetch folder I can speed my computer. I had tried many options here. The problem lies in the virus issue. As I have a broad band connection and I downloads file regularly. I just need some tips to configure this folder and bootup Windows loading. Thanks in advance.

Re: Disk Defragment for optimizing the Prefetch

The Prefetch folder (located in the Windows directory) stores access to frequently used files to load faster. This trick will allow us to quickly defragment this directory to get even faster access. To optimize its performance you have to run the defragment service in your Windows. Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt or Start > Run ... and type cmd type defrag c:-b and validate (with Windows installed on C. Here only the Prefetch folder will be defragmented.

Dr. V Guest

Prefetche is a service that allows XP to monitor the programs commonly used in order to load more quickly. It is possible by refining this setting, focus speed boot, load applications, or both. Run regedit Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters. Enter the desired value for the DWORD key EnablePrefetcher and reboot the PC.

Here are the possible values for the key EnablePrefetch: 0 is for disabling the prefetch. In the same way 1 is for prefetchr enabled applications. 2 for prefetch enabled for boot and 3 for prefetch enabled for boot and application (default). The value 3 is the default. It is also recommended by Microsoft. Values that are interesting to optimize the machine are 1 and 2. In my tests, EnablePrefetch 2 gives the best results (obtaining a gain to boot without slowing down the loading of applications from the default). The value 1 enables faster boot and application loading.

You can simply determine your adjustment to your configuration to emphasize the speed of boot and / or launch applications. Some forum members prefer to use 1 and others 2. Nevertheless, the two settings provide a real gain. Finally, before enjoying the speed increase, be sure to defragment your disks. But before doing anything in the registry you must first take a backup of the same and then only edit it.

By default, XP defragments the boot files (used during startup). This theoretically allows a faster start. However, if you use a regular defragmentation of your drives, you realize that the defragment you lose precious seconds on every boot. This trick, however, sufficiently known, can be misused. Indeed, many people prefer to start defragmenting the boot. However, if you regularly use a defragmenter, defragmenting the boot slowed while starting (it is unnecessary). Disabling this defrag will therefore accelerate the startup of Windows XP. For that you have to add N value to the BootOptimizeFunction in the regisrty. The path for the same is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Dfrg .