Thread: Need to rebuild Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller - best way?

question Need to rebuild Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller - best way?

Hi there,

This is my first post here and hoping for some pointers.

Following some issues with a Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x64) DC I have been tasked with rebuilding it on the same hardware platform with Windows Server 2008 R2 and enabling the existing roles and services provided by this DC.

I am little lost in finding the best way to achieve this using the latest tools.

Most of the migration tools available require migrating the roles and data to new systems, or upgrading existing installation. I however need to find a way of establishing the existing roles and services provided by this DC, backing up the 'role/service data' - then rebuilding the server to R2, re-installing the same roles and restoring the roles/service data.

There are other 2008 SP2 DCs in the domain.

In bullet form, I believe I need to:

1. Establish existing roles/services provided
    2. Establish FSMO roles etc
    3. Backup all role related data/config info
    4. Install Windows Server 2008 R2
    5. Install the same roles/services as before
    6. Restore all of the roles data

Have I missed anything out? Are there any tools which I can use to collect the relevant information easily? Do i need to make any AD changes by going from 2008 to R2?

Any ideas, advise, input will be greatly appreciated.

regards
    Simon
    Last edited by whizzkid11; 07-01-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Re: Need to rebuild Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller - best way?

Okay over here the steps mentioned by you are proper. You will have to follow all the steps and yes you will have to make AD changes before going from 2008 to R2.
    Check this link before you start with the process, it contains the R2 Upgrade Paths.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    And also do check this link on which some additional information is given related to AD.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

Re: Need to rebuild Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller - best way?

Make sure that your defunct DC is NEVER placed back on the network after seizing the FSMO roles. DFS in Windows Server 2008 is implemented as a role service of the File Services role. If you are installing the first Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller in the forest, run the adprep /forestprep command on the server that holds the schema master operations master (also known as flexible single master operations or FSMO) role. To manage DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication on a computer running Windows Server 2008, you can use the DFS Management snap-in hosted by Server Manager, or you can use the DFS Management snap-in from the Administrative Tools folder.