Thread: How to change File Pathname character limitations in Windows 7?

How to change File Pathname character limitations in Windows 7?

Hi Friends, I am having a issue that i want to solve here and hope that i will get the proper solution from here. So help me with the same. Actually whenever i copy file from one location to the another it shows me error that the file name is too big and can not copy. And ask for the skip of the process which is frustrating. So help me with how to change the file pathname limitation on windows. Help may be appreciated. Thank you

Re: How to change File Pathname character limitations in Windows 7?

Hey i never find a way that will work for the problem you are facing i have search for the same but could not find any solution so hope that this is not possible and can not be resolve. This could be disappointing for you but still this is the truth that you have to face. If you find any method that will work for the same then let me know so that i can increase my knowledge and refer this to others. Bye

There are no way by which you can fix the same this is inbuilt process of the Windows which allow only the 248 character for the path limit of the limit. And total path plus filename limit is 260 character. But this limitation is for the Windows Vista / Windows 7 /Windows Server 2008. Another then this have different file limit. Thats all i can help you with this. Thank you

Same thing even i want to share that this is not possible if you. If you are using the Windows XP /2003 then the path+ Filename limit is to the 255 Character which is fixed no one can change that. This differ withe operating system you are using if you are using Windows 2000 then this limit is set to the Path+Filename limit is 254 Characters. Which is lesser then the Windows XP. Thats it!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this knowledge about the pathname of file limitation in detail. Now i know that there is no way by which i can change the same so i will be happy working with the error message. Thanks to all once again. Bye

Well, you can use Long Path Tool, it works perfectly.