Thread: Defragmentation problem in windows 7

Defragmentation problem in windows 7

hi friends i am facing problems in defragmenting the disk on my computers. I am using a dell desktop and windows 7 Operating system . When ever i have to defragment the disk i have to do it in the safe mode. Can anyone help me to get rid of this disk defragmentation problem. I am ready to use third party defragmentation tools. If you are aware then please suggest me one.

Re: Defragmentation problem in windows 7

The Diskeeper is very good when it comes to defragmentation. It is far more better than the Windows or Norton defrags and you can also automate it fully. As you asked i would like to know is there something running like Go Back that locks access. The CD images which you have mounted could also be the cause of this problem. You can try to run the checkdisk.

If you are using the windows 7 then press ctrl+alt+del and then end each and every task except systray and explorer in the task manager. After that start the defragmentation. If you still face the problem then do a complete scandisk also do the surface test and all. Then again run the disk defragmenter after shutting down every thing except the explorer and the systray. If all these efforts does not works then Diskeeper is an excellent windows defragger tool.

If you want to go for a third party defragmentation tool the PerfectDisk10 is the best defragger tools.Because it Keeps your computer running like new. With patented SMARTPlacement™ technology, PerfectDisk10 Home Edition makes more free space available on your drive and speeds up everything you do. Browse the web, download music and edit pictures – faster.

I would like to suggest you one thing that before defragmenting your hard drive always try to close all the processes which are running in the background using the task manager because the defragmentation process requires a lot memory. Although using a third party software tool is not a good step if you want you can use the Diskeeper for the defragmentation process.

Dr. V Guest

You can use the windows defrag utility without going in ot the safe mode if you follow the steps mentioned below:
    1. Click Start menu
    2.Select run and type "msconfig" without the double quotes and click OK.
    3. Then select the startup tab uncheck every thing and then reboot the machine
    4. Open task manager end all programs except the explorer and systray.
    5. Then use the defrag utility for defragmenting the hard disk.