Thread: Windows 7 Not starting up

Windows 7 Not starting up

Hi,
    I have a Dell laptop. It is working on Windows 7. Due to virus problem I had to remove some application. I did the same. But the next day the system stopped working. This is really irritating. When I turned it on the login menu appears and then there is a black desktop with mouse pointer. Nothing happens in here. This is now happening constantly. What to do here to fix my Windows. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 Not starting up

It is a common boot is issue for Windows computer. It is necessary that you must be aware of troubleshooting options to fix such problems. The reason behind this is a corrupt operating system. First boot in safe mode by pressing F8 and then take a backup of your computer. Try to run system restore from that point and then check back again.

When you computer gets of suddenly the first thing you have to check always is the BIOS. Many times virus files corrupts BIOS which results in a dead pc. But this does not looks in your case because you can atleast reach the safe mode. Do this insert your Windows disc and then run a repair process. You can see the same on the first menu of Windows installation. Repairing corrupt file can fix the matter.

If you can manage a bootable floppy disc then you can fix normal startup issues and fix your Windows. The bootable disc can be created in Windows and helps to boot the computer in case of missing files on startup. Or else you can install your Windows again and then create a backup of your operating system by using Norton Ghost. It is a nice option and very flexible.

Yes Norton Ghost is nice and easy way to restore your entire Windows in matter of some minutes. But one thing you have to ensure that if you are using a older version of Ghost then take care that the backup file of your restore system must lie in a FAT types drive. Otherwise it will not be able to restore you computer under the DOS mode.

Corruption of MBR ( Master Boot Record ) can be the issue lies in your computer. Fixing the same can make you computer work back again. The MBR has the information on the operating system you have on your computer. By repairing it you can fix the tool. It has the control over the startup process. But for that you need a startup floppy disk. Then give the following command. c: fdisk /mbr sys c:

davison1 Guest

Yes I do agree with salvatore.
    It can be an MBR problem and if it is not fixed , then Re -installation of OS is the ultimate solution . In that case first make a bak up of all your data so that later it can be recovered be using a windows data recovery software.

Yes there is a high probability that the Virus has corrupted the Master Boot record on the hard drive and hence the system is not able to load the operating system. MBR has all the information that is required by the system to boot. By looking at the situation i will suggest that you take back-up of the required data and then format the hard drive. Reinstall the operating system only after the whole drive is formatted.

I think that something is wrong with your laptop. Because if reinstalling does not solves this issue it might due to RAM or your else some kind of display issue. In this matter i will suggest you to Format it once again and if you face the same problem again then try to take your laptop to the manufacturer's service centre and get this issue solved.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    It is a common boot is issue for Windows computer. It is necessary that you must be aware of troubleshooting options to fix such problems. The reason behind this is a corrupt operating system. First boot in safe mode by pressing F8 and then take a backup of your computer. Try to run system restore from that point and then check back again.
    on my dell 5030, the f8 doesn't do that. it does nothing..

As far as i am aware f8 is the shortcut for safe mode in dell laptops. Hope you are tapping f8 just after starting your laptop and before the windows logo comes up.

will try again, but mine doesn't get to windows logo at all. thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by mmamom View Post
    will try again, but mine doesn't get to windows logo at all. thanks for the reply
    So you mean to say that you can get to the BIOS screen atleast? Can you try to load all the default settings in the BIOS and then see if that works or not. In the meanwhile, after the bios screen, do you get any kind of error message, or does the screen remains completely black. Have you tried pulling out the ram from the machine and then putting it back one by one and troubleshooting the system?