Thread: How to install XP on a computer w/o an operating system

How to install XP on a computer w/o an operating system

Hi I have a toshiba laptop and recently I wiped the entire memory using a drive erase CD.
    I have the system disc but when I put the CD in my computer it doesn't work.
    The instructions on the back say:
    1. Place thedisc or #1 disc into the drive.
    2. Power up the computer while holding down the "C" ket (Release the "C" key when the screen reads "Toshiba")
    3. The computer will format the hard drive and install the factory image. Follow all instructions on the screen.
    4. Once the process is complete, remove the recovery media and press any key to restart your computer.

I've been getting stuck at step 2, because after pressing and holding the "C" key I get a screen that reads:
    MBR Error 1
    Press any key to boot from floppy...

After pressing all the keys, nothing happens.

Dr. V Guest

Re: How to install XP on a computer w/o an operating system

In order to resolve your above issue, you need to check out the following link. First, check the requirements for Windows XP. You also have System Restore availabe as one of the repair options listed if you have a restore point that's appropriate, and system restore was on.If you want to install and run Windows XP on your computer, their is a higher possibility that Windows XP will say no HDD detected on your motherboard. If the computer is up to snuff, the next step is to check the rest of the hardware against the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List to see if it’s supported. As long as the new installation is on the same system and there won't be any hardware changes it is possible to transfer the existing product activation and skip having to go through the product activation process again.