Thread: Need parental lock software for Windows XP

Need parental lock software for Windows XP

Hello, I need a software that can lock down the computer for certain time which will be decided by me. I need that the pc should not boot Windows xp at all at that specified time. I want to know if it is possible using windows tools or i need to install a 3rd party applications to achieve this. Are there any other ways to lock down the computer? Please suggest Parental control software for Windows Xp.
    Last edited by Aislinn; 21-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Re: Need parental lock software for Windows XP

Instead of using any software to lock down the computer, you can use BIOS to prevent someone from booting the pc. BIOS has an option of setting password which can be either to enter BIOS setup or to continue booting of windows. In your case you need to keep password to prevent windows from booting. So set the password follow this steps. Press Del key continuously when the computer is booting. When you enter in to BIOS, Select Set Supervisor Password. Now type the password you want to keep and then select Ask on Start-up. Now Press F10 to save and exit the setup. The system will restart and will ask for password after POST.

Setting up BIOS password to prevent the system to boot is not such good idea. BIOS password can be broke very easily and hence should not be use. BIOS password can be disable in two ways. 1) By Clearing CMOS. 2) By hardware. To clear BIOS password using CMOS clear, you just need to change the position of the jumper. The location of Jumper and Pins to be shorted for clearing CMOS are indicated in the motherboard manual. To clear BIOS password by using hardware method you just need to pull out the battery out of the motherboard.

There are many 3rd party applications available to prevent someone from misusing the computer. There are some applications available which can lock the data of your computer. Folder lock is one of the software which will enable you to share data with selected users of the computer. You can also encrypt files and folders and assign them password using this software. I suggested the above software's as i dont know what do you exactly want to protect from other users. Hope this post helps.

As you want to lock down the entire computer for certain amount of time, you should try using software's like Desktop Lock. Software's like Desktop lock will help you lock down the computer for certain time (time that you have specified) , you can lock down when you are away, you can also block certain applications from certain users. It can also help in locking down mouse and keyboard for the time specified (according to you).

Windows XP has a built in security commands which enable users to lock down the computer. The command which you can use is NETUSER. Put the following command "net user [UserName [Password | *] [options]]/times:{day[-day][,day[-day]] ,time[-time][,time[-time]] [;] | a". By using this command you can block a certain users from logging in to the system for the time specified.