Thread: Serious problem with Windows XP

unsure Serious problem with Windows XP

Hey guys. I have a big problem with my computer and I would apreciate if someone could help me.
    After installing a game(that didin't work...) I shut down my computer. When i opened it again later,nothing was the same: applications wouldn't open from the shortcuts on the desktop,the startup items didn't start,not even my antivirus.The only way i could open the apps was by right-clicking on them then selectin Run as... and then run as the current user which was the administrator.Some programs wouldn't close after opening(Wise registry cleaner) saying the there was a problem with my config.ini file. My Windows Defender didn't open as well,saying the access is denied error 0x80070005. I searched this error on google and I found out that it has something to do with Windows Genuine Advantage tool,but I'm positive that this is not the real problem. In my opinion,something bad happened in the registry after installing that game,but I'm not sure... All programs and applications that have nothing to do with the operating system did not work just by double-clicking on the executable file. My computer,my documents, recycle bin,IE opened normally.But programs(browser like Google Chrome) wouldn't open. Can someone help me please?... I'll provide more information about what's happening with my computer if someone asked for it...

Re: Serious problem with Windows XP

Hey Dude,

What kind of game is that sound like it messed up your OS, well it could have scr***w you Registry by the sounds of it. You might want to considering repairing the OS, if none of the appplication star I would advice:

1) Go to Recovery console on your OS Disc and perform a CHKDSK R/F

After this try opening any app if none work it means that your registry is f***k so you need to reinstall OS

If problem is fixed after Recovery I would suggest you to go to Application Compatibility Tools and configure the game MANUALLY OR WITH A WIZARD, son this way game will run on a different mode.

With the Wizard go to:

1)Click Star and Select the All Programs option
    2)Then Accesories --> Compatibility Wizard Program
    3)Follow the Wizard Instructions

Manually:

1) right Click on the game app extension .exe
    2)Then Properties
    3)Then Compatibility Tab and select Run this program (GAME) is compatibility mode for check box:. Next select the windows version that is required by the app from the list.
    4) You can also change the display setting, adjust the video mode that Windows XP will swicth when you use the program (GAME)

Hope this helps!!!

Good Luck

Horatyu,

Please try this to check to what extent the problem is -

Login to Windows using "Safe Mode"

1. Reboot your computer
    2. Keep pressing the F8 key every one second as the computer boots up.
    3. You should be offered options to login - Select "Safe Mode"
    4. Login and check how your computer works in the Safe Mode.

If all looks good (speed, performance, response) in the Safe Mode, i would suggest you to delete the current user profile that you normally use to login to the computer (as I feel the profile could be corrupt)

To do this -

1. Reboot the machine in the Safe Mode.
    2. Login with an account with Admin priviledges
    3. Go to C:\Documents & Settings (Where the profiles are stored)
    4. Right click on the profile that you use and choose delete (Please backup any important files that might be present on this profile on the \Desktop or \my documents folders)

After the profile is deleted, reboot and login normally into windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, going back to the beginning of my message to you, if logging into Safe Mode had the same issues as in the normal mode, I would suggest there could be something wrong with your windows (registry corruption, corruption of the core OS files)

In this case, I will suggest you try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option before trying an OS reinstall as the last resort.

To perform "Last Known Good Configuration" -

1. Reboot the computer.
    2. Keep pressing the F8 key as the computer boots up.
    3. The computer should offer you options to login into - Select "Last Known Good Configuration"
    4. Windows should restore your computer to the "last known good configuration" it had stored with itself.

Reboot the computer in the normal mode and check if this solves your issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this has also not solved your issue, I would suggest you reinstall the Operating System.

I hope I have been helpful.

Please let us know what happens.
    It might help anyone else who might face the same issue.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Abbas.

Hey friend i don't exactly understand the problem you are getting but it seem that something wrong happens with your operating system. I will advice you to follow these link which is related to the same as of yours. Hope you will find the solution from the same.
    Desktop shortcuts not working
    Vista Desktop Icons Randomly Change

I tried safe mode first thing after I saw that sometgying was wrong,but I had the same problem even in safe mode.The game that seemed to have done something bad I deleted it afterwards,because it wasn't working in the first place. Then I tried system restore, and restored everything a week in the past. Nothing . Last known good configuration didn't help me either... The last thing I should try is repairing XP from the CD...If this doesn't solve anything-> reinstall XP ( damn...

I will suggest you give creating a new local windows profile a try.
    Anyways, if that doesn't work, you can always reinstall the OS

idea Re: Serious problem with Windows XP

You have 2 options left mate:

1) Star machine from OS disk and go to Recovery console, R, then write the administrator password if there is any the perform a CHKDSK /F/R if this has not solve the issue I your Registry is gone mate, if problem is solved before you open your game make sure that you have configured it before opening it. AND WHAT GAMA ARE YOU PLAYING??

If solution 1 did not work best advice reinstall OS and by the way what machine do you have????

Oh by the way if you reinstall OS make sure you create a backup partition!!

Depending on the problem you are trying to solve, the common Internet Explorer and Runtime Error pages may be helpful. When you experience network troubles, begin by checking the physical network devices and connections. In my experience, about 25–30 percent of all networking problems result from problems with the physical network. These problems are also the most easily fixed.