Thread: What is the best configuration for a fresh Windows 7 installation??

What is the best configuration for a fresh Windows 7 installation??

Hey guys i have a brand new cd of Windows 7 which was recently gifted to me and which i intend to you as soon as possible,its been one week but i have some doubts regarding what configuration to use while installing it.I don't have much information about the needs of Windows 7 so i hope you can help me out.I have a 750 gb hard drive on which i intend to install windows 7.Should i go for 2 partitions while installing?? Should i go for 3 partitions in which one will be dedicated to virtual memory? Guide me on what is the best way possible in this regard.I intend to make use of this as a gaming system.

Re: What is the best configuration for a fresh Windows 7 installation??

If you wish to use virtual memory you should do it on on a different drive instead of making a different partition for that purpose.As for partitions you can make as many as you want,i am using 3 where in one is for windows 7 and the system files,one is for my audio/songs and the other is for my movies.Its a personal choice on how many you want to make and doesn't make a difference as such to the operating system installation,considering you have a 750 gb drive,space is not really an issue here.

Wow why are you even worrying about partitions when you have a 750 gb drive.I have a 320 gb drive and i am using a single partition for my Windows XP installation.I doubt your Windows 7 installation will require more than 16 GB of space so the rest is your playground really.Some programs don't give us the option of installation or where to install so in that regard i think a single partition is much better and has worked well in my experience.

As far as i am concerned there is really no intelligence in keeping only a single partition if your system gets affected by a virus or you need to reformat for some reason.Where will you keep your backup in that case if you have say 600 GB worth of data??No easy task even getting the backup of all that in the first place in a small amount of time.I suggest make 2 partitions,keep your system files such as Windows 7 installation and program files separate and keep your data such as videos,movies,songs,pictures in a separate partition.That way even if you need to format your system you wont lose your data and can make the transition smoothly.
    Last edited by Devasis; 16-12-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Windows 7 installation requires about 16 GB for itself.So i suggest you make 3 partitions,one for Win 7 and the system files,one for installing the games since you intend to making a gaming pc and one for all your data.This gives you a nice organization of all your essentials on a computer.Even if you need to format your system sometime,your data will be left well organized.Virtual memory on the same drive is a not so good idea in my opinion.

There is really no performance advantage in having multiple partitions as such.But having them is an advantage when you need to reformat or keep a backup of sensitive and invaluable data such as pictures.Virtual memory will work well on the system partition in my humble opinion.If you intend to use this pc for gaming,internet,media like any normal user 2 partitions minimum is the way to go,rest you can decide for more partitions depending on how you wish to organize data on your computer.good luck