Thread: Admin account not always Admin

Admin account not always Admin

My system has Windows Vista Home Premium with only one user account in it. So, basically, my account is the admin account. When I try to install a software, it alerts me that I need to be an admin for installing this software. Sometimes, it allows me to install some softwares. I do not know what is causing this problem because my admin account is not always admin. Do I have to upgrade my operating system to Windows 7? Anyone with knowledge on this kindly suggest a solution.

Re: Admin account not always Admin

The admin account that you are using is not the default administrator account. It is actually a new user account that you have you have created for the system. You have have given LIMITED rights to your account. That is why, for some softwares admin account not always admin. For removing this problem, create a new account with FULL/ADMINISTRATOR rights. Or extend your rights in the current account.

The admin account not always being admin is an insensible error. May be the programs/softwares/applications that you are trying to install into the system may not be supported by Windows Vista. Try to do the installation in compatibility mode. Another solution is to disable UAC. It has worked out with me too, hopefully it will solve your problem too.

The admin account that you have logged into is not actually the admin account. For logging into the main administrator, press CTRL+ALT+DEL on the Windows welcome screen, where you have to select a user to log into the system. The account that you access by this method is the actual administrator account. Now, try installing the software that wanted administrator rights to install previously.

The admin account not always admin is a very rare situation that I have heard. Well, may be there is a problem with the account. I suggest you to always create 2 users, one with administrator rights and another with limited rights since it protects the system if there has been any problem with the main account that you are using. If you do not follow this means to handle user accounts in your system, then you will be facing a problem in the future. Almost all people handle their user accounts in this typical manner.
    Last edited by Calvin K; 16-12-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Your Admin account is not always Admin may be because some virus, trojan or backdoor might have infected your system and someone else must have taken over your system and limited your administrator rights, thus, making your account a simple guest account. I suggest you to install a spyware like "SPYWARE DOCTOR" that will check for malicious activities undergoing within the system. If you dont do it soon, then may be you will loose some confidential/personal information. The attacker may be accessing your machine from somewhere else.