Thread: Booting Windows 7 RTM pop-ups up My Computer and My Documents

Booting Windows 7 RTM pop-ups up My Computer and My Documents

Installing Windows 7 RTM on my computer is really making some unnecessary changes to my system. I was earlier using Windows Vista and I was very much satisfied by its performance. But then I thought of upgrading to Windows 7 and installed Windows 7 RTM on my computer ever since then whenever I boot my computer the My Computer folder and My Documents folder pops-ups automatically at the start-up. How to fix it?

Safe Mode boot for Windows 7 RTM

It might be caused due to a due to a virus that has infected your system. Try to boot your Windows in Safe Mode by continuously pressing the f8 key when the computer starts and then select Safe Mode. Scan your entire system using your anti virus. This will help you to delete the notorious illegal problem which can be responsible for this.

No threats detected

I am using Norton Internet Security anti -virus and this anti virus has not yet generated any threat alerts. I have tried performing a scan in Safe Mode with the help of Norton but still there were no infections found. Also my Norton is updated regularly. I even tried using another anti virus- AVG which also did not detect any such threats in my computer. So I do not think that it is a Virus issue. Provide some other remedy.

Repair Windows 7 RTM

I believe that you should repair your Windows 7 RTM. According to your description it seems that Windows was not installed properly, so it can be solved out by repairing the installed Windows. Use your bootable Windows 7 RTM disc and repair your Windows to rectify any installation problem that might be caused.

Windows 7 Repair fail to fix

As suggested I used the Windows 7 RTM CD to repair my currently installed Windows. I selected the repair option and allowed the repair process to be completed without any errors. But again there was that same display of My Computer and My Documents. So I hence Windows repair is also not working

Edit the registry values

Here is a solution that helped me to overcome the same error on my computer:
    Go to Windows Start menu and in the Search Box enter regedit (to open and edit registry).
    Locate:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Alter the Userinit value on the right side pane and make it:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    Locate:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Advanced
    Alter the PersistBrowsers value on the right side pane to 0.
    Close the Registry editor and restart your machine for the settings to be applied and hope this works to solve your problem