Thread: Windows XP Mode stopped working in Windows 7 after i upgraded memory

Windows XP Mode stopped working in Windows 7 after i upgraded memory

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and i use Windows XP mode to run certain Applications. Well i upgraded my memory and now suddenly the Windows XP mode stopped working. I get a message which says something like this : "Windows XP Mode could not be restored because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled" Can anyone tell me what could have been a problem? Please help guys! I thought upgrading memory only improves the performance...

Re: Windows XP Mode stopped working in Windows 7 after i upgraded memory

I think you need to check your newly installed memory. It might be at fault. For more info have a look at this topics : How to Check Your RAM?. I hope this could help you. Also check if your memory is of the frequency that is supported by the Motherboard. I think this is important if you are using the memory along with the old memory chips. Also if you use different frequency memory chips togather, it may cause problems. I would also suggest you to try using mem86+ software to determine if any problem exists with your memory...

I did all the testing i could possibly do, Infact everything else works fine including high-end and graphics greedy games as well as softwares like Maya and Renderman. But i don't know what is Windows XP Mode up to. Any ideas on solving it? By the way i tried mem86+ too but that doesn't help as it shows that all my memory modules are clean. Please help...

I think you have to filled every other slot with memory and hence the system memory voltages are falling short. If this is the case and if your BIOS supports changing the memory voltage then you must try to change the voltages a bit higher by one step or may be two, Make sure you don't fry your memory. Use some voltage monitor software and change the voltages by one step at a time untill it works. Do post back...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    I think you have to filled every other slot with memory and hence the system memory voltages are falling short. If this is the case and if your BIOS supports changing the memory voltage then you must try to change the voltages a bit higher by one step or may be two, Make sure you don't fry your memory. Use some voltage monitor software and change the voltages by one step at a time untill it works. Do post back...
    Whoa! Adding memory changes the programs configuration? Does it require to manually change the memory voltages? Well this is the first time i have heard this kind of stuff. Lets see if i can get this Windows XP mode to work with your solution. Will post back...

Changing system voltages can be dangerous, specially when you are not aware of what you are doing. Also you may fry your machine without the need of oil. I would recommend you to use a software that will help you monitor CPU's temperature. Make sure you do not up the voltages, but one step at a time. Download CoreTemp : 32-bit, 64-bit. All the best!