Thread: How do i backup my operating system settings with data securely?

How do i backup my operating system settings with data securely?

How do i backup my operating system settings with data securely? I have a computer Windows Windows XP and i want to take backup of all the settings and Personal Data. I want to clean install XP and then restore the data and settings for my Operating System. I am planning for a clean install as i haven't formatted my computer since more then two years now and is working flawlessly. The only problem is it has started slowing down since past two weeks. So can anyone advice me how to take a backup of personal settings applied in the operating system along with the data. Thanks in advance...

Re: How do i backup my operating system settings with data securely?

Hello there i have the same problem. I need to do a fresh install but i have made many settings which i fear of loosing. Is there a way to take backup of the data files along with the backup of operating system [there sure might be] as i am not aware of it. But the only difference is i am on Windows Vista. Can anyone help??

Ok, there is a utility for user migration in Windows XP. Use this wizard to backup the settings. While following the wizard you will be prompt on which settings you want to backup and also you will be prompted if you want to include personal data files along with the backup. But for this if your settings and data is too large, you will require space accordingly. I would recommend you to take backups in an External Drive, so that it can remain intact. You can delete them once the restoration is done. Have fun...

There are so many third party data backup utilities and software applications. Most of them are paid but many are open source and freely available. I think you should try them too. For windows Vista and Windows 7 you can see this help from microsoft : http://www.microsoft.com/singapore/w...epcbackup.mspx. For any Windows Operating use Cuku Social Backup Software.