Thread: Thumbs.db being accessed by Windows Explore

Thumbs.db being accessed by Windows Explore

I can not delete any folder or file from my windows 7 system. Wherever i try to delete any folder it shows an error message thumbs.db is being accessed by Windows Explorer. Does any one what is thumbs.db and why it involves in every deletion process? Is this virus or any system file.

Re: Thumbs.db being accessed by Windows Explore

Thumbs.db is not a virus it is a system file which is generated by the windows when you select folder view in “Thumbnail” or “Filmstrip” view. Thumbs.db is a nice little optimization, but if like me you don't use the icon or image view in Windows Explorer, it's just not that useful. Fortunately you can turn it off with a simple setting. The file is created locally among the images, Thumbs.db also stores your settings with regard to thumbnail and filmstrip view.

The message thumbs.db being accessed by Windows Explorer comes when you are trying to delete the folder which is viewed as Thumbnails format. This thumbs.db files are not harmful, it is generated by Windows and is simply a database file containing a list of the images you displayed in Thumbnail View. No harm is done to your system during their creation and no harm comes about by deleting them.

Thumbs.db is a hidden file used by Windows to store thumbnail images of the files in a folder. To turn off thumbnail caching, open Tools > Options in Windows Explorer and click on the View tab. Check on the circle in front of the thumbnails. Click the Ok button. Turning off or disabling the thumbnails will allow you to delete a folder that contains a thumbs.db file. You can choose "Show hidden files and folders", search for Thumbs.db files and delete them all, using the previous steps windows will not generate it again.