Thread: In windows 7 computer takes more time to Shutdown

In windows 7 computer takes more time to Shutdown

Hi Guys,

Are you able to help me in windows 7 problem?

I have computer with windows 7 installed. Previously I had window XP operating system.

After the installation of the windows 7, My machine is taking more time to shutdown. And sometime it never get shutdown. I don't have any idea to resolve this.

Your help will be greatly appreciable.

Re: In windows 7 computer takes more time to Shutdown

Hello,

There is might some program which causes this type of issue. And to check which program causing this(machine taking more time to shutdown) follow the below steps:

1. Open the "Control Panel" window.
    2.Then select option of "all Control Panel Items"
    3.Then goto "Performance Information and Tools".
    4. Select "Advanced Tools".

After this you may get the exact problem for this type of cause.

Hi friends,

I had followed the below steps to see the program which cause this issue:

*. click on the "Start"
    *. Select option of "All Programs"
    *. Goto "Accessories"
    *. select "Command Prompt" option and then select "Run as Administrator" option.
    Then write the following command in it:

"wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt"

*. If you want to use option of the Copy & Paste
    , then make right-click and paste it .

*. Then close the window of the command prompt.
    *. Then select "Event.txt" file from the desktop.
    *. To see the recent event you will need to goto at the end of the file.

Hi all,

I have the same problem regarding the shutdown time in windows 7. I am getting more time not only for the shutdown but also for the restarting of the machine.
    Somebody told me to make complete computer scan for the virus. I did this but the problem didn't get solved. I am not getting what to do. If you get solution over this then please let me know., so that I can also sort out my problem.

Had the same problem in Win7 and tried various remedies found in forums. The only thing that worked was unistalling and reinstalling graphics card drivers.

With just a little workout in registry, you can accelerate your Windows 7 shutdown time. Here is what you need to do:

• Click Start and type regedit in the search box. Just click regedit that comes as the search results above.
    • In regedit, navigate to the following location:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control
    • In the right pane, right click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and click Edit.
    • Type a number between 2000-20000 (2-20 seconds), the smallest number that you type, the faster the decision. The default is 12000. Click OK.
    • Restart your PC and you're done. This should help you improve Windows 7 downtime by a few seconds.

Thanks, MaqH. In my case it did not resolve the shutdown hang in Win7 Home. I was surprised it did not work.
    The graphics uninstall/reinstall was the only thing that did the trick to resolve this issue.

You solved it yourself. Thats great !!

BTW, what was the problem ? What troubleshoot you did ? Please share it here, this will help some one else.

Thank you Tom1W

The 'puter was a home built HTPC AMD/ATI Video Chipset 4200 on the AMD 785 platform that I had attached to a Panasonic 50" plasma with an AMD 650 PCIe TV capture card.
    After installation of Win7 and all drivers including the latest AMD/ATI catalyst, shutdown would hang much of the time for 3 minutes to several minutes....even overnight leaving it on would not effect shutdown sometimes. Tried the following: Registry fix mentioned here, shut down start up items in msconfig, shut down sys try before shutdown including networking hardware, begging the machine, pleading,threatening etc. Then I noticed catalyst was not coming up in systray and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers. It worked! Used the same drivers as before so it wasn't the drivers in particular. They just did not play nice in the first installation.