Thread: Problem with folder access in windows 7

Problem with folder access in windows 7

Hi
    I run a small office and I have five computer, all of the computer run windows 7. I am explaining my problem with any example so that it will be easy for understanding. My computer names are suppose V,W,X,Y,Z. Let us assume that computer V has a folder called - data. I set the permissions for this folder like this
    w: Read/write
    X: Read
    Y: No access [but can access other folders so they need to be on the file sharing network]
    I have a group called the officegroup and all the computers are connected and share the files, even their public folder are shared.
    I procedure I will follow to share a folder is
    Code:
    I right click the folder > Share with > Specific people...
    Now the problem is that I can not see the other computer in the drop down list, they can be seen in the group officegroup in the file explorer.
    Did I miss something or am I wrong some where. Please help. Any suggestion or advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with folder access in windows 7

Hello
    The method of sharing the files is correct. This should work perfectly.
    Code:
    I right click the folder > Share with > Specific people...
    Even the permission for the specific computer which has been assigend by you are correct
    Code:
    w: Read/write
    X: Read
    Y: No access [but can access other folders so they need to be on the file sharing network]
    I think the only problem here is that you have assigned different user name and password to every computer. This will work if you add the same user name and user password on all the computers. Try this and post back again if you have any problem or if your are stuck with some query.

Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think the only problem here is that you have assigned different user name and password to every computer. This will work if you add the same user name and user password on all the computers. Try this and post back again if you have any problem or if your are stuck with some query.
    What do you mean by same user name and password on all the computers, I did not get your point clearly. Need some more explanation. All the computers are on the same group the officegroup with a password. In the current situation they can all share the files in the public folder.
    Sharing using the below shown works very well.
    Code:
    Share with > officegroup [Read] & [Read/write]
    I have seen a video where this is possible, in the video they select the computers from the combo box. But the computers in my network are not shown in the combo box. I think here is the main problem. If i somehow manage to bring the computers in the list of combo box. This is definitely going to work.

Hi
    I have one more solution in my mind, but I am not sure that this is going to work. I am planning to make some officegroups within the same five computer groups. I mean to say that is it possible to have some officegroups within the same five computer group? If any suggestion on this or anyone has done it before please do post back. Thanks in advance.