Thread: Explorer.exe consuming more RAM than required in Windows 7!!

Explorer.exe consuming more RAM than required in Windows 7!!

I have recently installed the retail version of Windows7. It seems that all the processes in my system have begun running slow after installing this Operating System. So, I opened the Task Manager and checked out how much RAM the processes are consuming. I was taken aback when I saw that the RAM used by explorer.exe was almost 120-140 MB. Then, I tried to gain speed in the system by terminating the processes and then restarting them. When I do this, explorer.exe starts by consuming 10-12 MB of RAM. But in a couple of minutes, it rises again to the previous value of 120-140 MB. This is not any kind of virus that has affected, i suppose but something entirely different
    I think it is Windows 7 that is consuming most of the RAM. Please suggest any solution to lower this usage of RAM.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Explorer.exe consuming more RAM than required in Windows 7!!

I suppose that explorer.exe is consuming too much of RAM than it should be. In my system, it consumes only about 15-20 MB of RAM. During booting of windows, it uses only about 12 MB of RAM. Killing may not always release RAM. This is the fault or some design feature that might have not been included in the programs. It is also possible that your system could have a memory leak which is very rare. If the problems persist, you should find out that which programs or applications are causing the memory leak. There is no other solution for it.

Re: The features in Windows 7 is causing the problem

Hello there, I was having the same problem with the usage of RAM by explorer.exe when I initially installed Windows 7. I found out the reason for that is the features like "Pictures Viewer" which allow you cycling through the images and also, the inbuilt themes that changes the wallpapers in every 30 minutes. You need to turn off these features to reduce the RAM usage. I did the same and my RAM usage by explorer.exe came down to 55 MB.

Re: Explorer.exe consuming more RAM than required in Windows 7!!

Explorer.exe is consuming more RAM means that the registry entries of some of the programs may be corrupted. In that case, you should use Registry Mechanic and repair all the corrupted and problematic registry entries. The Registry mechanic basically enables a deep scan within the registry. If that is also not solving the problem, then you should use TuneUp utilities and check for existing problems in your system. This software also allows defragmentation of disks.
    Any of the above mentioned 2 softwares must solve your problem.