Thread: Vista upgrade error “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer"

Vista upgrade error “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer"

I am having two computers at my home, both with Windows Xp. Now, i planned to upgrade one system to Windows Vista. Yesterday, when i was trying to do so, i found that the Upgrade option that is located in the Install Windows dialog box was unavailable. Also when i reached there, system gave me an error message stating “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer". I don't have any idea about this error message, do you ? Please make me know how can i fix this error ? Thanks in advance..

Re: Vista upgrade error “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer"

I have also upgraded my Windows Xp system to Vista and there was no such problem. In your case, i think there might be some hardware or software problem that may be causing this issue. I'll suggest you to use the Windows Upgrade Advisor tool to help determine whether the computer can run Windows Vista successfully.

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor will help you to determine if your Windows XP-based PC can run Windows Vista. This small software tool will scan your computer and create an easy-to-understand report of all known system, device, and program compatibility issues, and recommend ways to resolve them. Upgrade Advisor can also help you to choose the edition of Windows Vista that best fits the way you want to use your computer.

Download Windows Vista Upgrade advisor.

Re: Vista upgrade error “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer"

I am aware of the said error above. Along with that error system also says that "Try repairing the boot configuration, and then begin the installation again." So, in order to fix this error , you need to edit the Boot.ini file to correct the entries that are not valid. This problem occurs if the Boot.ini file contains incorrect entries. Specifically, this problem occurs if the boot path in the Boot.ini file does not have the correct location for the Windows directory.

To view and edit the Boot.ini file, just go through these simple few steps :-

• Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    • Under System Startup, click Edit.

Before editing Boot.ini, don't forget to take back up of of Boot.ini.

Most often Windows Vista upgradation error occurs if you are upgrading a version of Windows that is installed on a FAT32 Volume. So what i can suggest you is try to convert the hard disk partition from FAT32 to NTFS and than try upgrading Vista again. Windows Vista requires that the hard disk partition (disk volume) you are installing Vista into is formatted by using the NTFS file system. To convert the hard disk partition to NTFS, follow these steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK.
    • At the command prompt, type convert driveletter:/FS:NTFS. For example, if you want to convert drive C, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
      convert C:/FS:NTFS
    • When the conversion is complete, restart Windows Vista Setup.