Thread: Volume Shadow Copy Service issues on Windows Server 64-bit

Volume Shadow Copy Service issues on Windows Server 64-bit

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. Just few days back i had disabled the Volume Shadow Copy Service on my Windows Server 64-bit. Now the problem is that after re-enabling the service, now the service fails to start on boot-up. Any one knows why i'm having Volume Shadow Copy Service issues on Windows Server 64-bit ? It's not a big deal because I'd only use it for NTBackup to back up System State and I already have a better solution, but I'm particularly annoyed because Windows Server 64-bit is so new and I can't seem to find any solutions about it with a web search. Anybody have ideas to help on this? Thanks.

Re: Volume Shadow Copy Service issues on Windows Server 64-bit

Both primary & secondary are using service accounts for SQL & SQL Agent. Are you still struggling with this issue? VMware products may require file systems within a guest operating system to be quiesced prior to a snapshot operation for the purposes of backup and data integrity.

As of ESX 3.5 Update 2, quiescing can be done by the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) which is provided by Microsoft in their operating systems as of Windows Server 2003. GetTargetLuns must give VSS an shadow copy identifier it can use after LocateLuns to conclude this lun that just surfaced is indeed the shadow copy created earlier.

If all you fill out in the VDS_LUN_INFORMATION is generic stuff, VSS can not recognize the shadow copy when it surfaces during LocateLuns. When the OnPostRestore event occurs in the VSS reference writer, the event tries to clear a variant that holds a safe array, even though the array was previously freed.