Thread: MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard

MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard

MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard to the latest 10.6.2 update. I don't know whats wrong, When i start my MacBook Pro, the apple logo will spin and the then a black screen will appear and then my MacBook will shutdown. What can be done? What did the update do to my MacBook? Please help...

Re: MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard

It seems like your system has been damaged. You must try fixing the hard disk drive with Disk Utility. Use disk utility and check if your drive has no problems. On disk utility there will be an option for repair, try that. Also I advice you should do the check everytime before installing any update. It is possible that the updates may screw the machine if there is something wrong with the disk. If that doesn't help, you will have to erase your entire hard disk and re-install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard again and then install the updates...

I will not be able to do a re-install and erase my hard drive. I have no backup of existing data of may Macbook Pro. Any work around? I think there must be a way to fix this? I do not have any backup of my latest stuff, please help...

How could you be without backup? You should never let your data unprotected, Even if your machine has no problem, you should maintain regular backups, Ok, as for now, you can take backup from your Macbook from Mac OS DVD. Boot from the dvd and from utilities open Terminal. But this will only help if you are good at commands, You need an external drive to take backup, Connect the external drive first and the start the Macbook. Also make sure you may need to mount the external and internal drives from Disk Utilities if any of these are not mounted after booting from DVD.

When booting from DVD open Disk Utility and select Restore Tab, Select the internal disk as Source and the external Disk and Destination, then click on restore. Now this process may take hours as this will clone your internal drive to the external drive...

Exclamation Re: MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard

Hey there,
    Quote Originally Posted by X_OS_MAC View Post
    MacBook Pro shuts down after updating snow leopard to the latest 10.6.2 update. I don't know whats wrong, When i start my MacBook Pro, the apple logo will spin and the then a black screen will appear and then my MacBook will shutdown. What can be done? What did the update do to my MacBook? Please help...
    Don't panic -- and I hope this reaches you in time to save a lot of headache ... I was having the same problem, mostly when using Word, and it was really driving me nuts, but I think there's a patch: System Updater just woke up on my machine, and says:
    The 10.6.2 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes for:
    an issue that might cause your system to logout unexpectedly
    Would "log out" here = "shut down"? I've not tried it yet, but I'm hoping, and suggest you try this before wiping your hard drive clean ...

Hello, I was also getting the same problem with my MacBook. When I install the Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, installation complete without any problem, but laptop would not boot. Then I reset the System Management Controller and the Parameter Random Access Memory and solve my problem. If you want to reset the System Management Controller then first disconnect the power supply and then remove the battery and just hold down the power button for 5 seconds. If you want to reset the Parameter Random Access Memory then replace the battery, connect the power supply, press the power button, holding down the Command, Option, R & P keys as the laptop starts up. I think this will solve your problem.