Thread: Best Desktop Environment for Light Weight Ubuntu Linux

Best Desktop Environment for Light Weight Ubuntu Linux

Hello friends, I have an old computer which i don't want to throw away. Instead i'm thinking of making some use of it, So i want to know which would be the Best Desktop Environment for Light Weight Ubuntu Linux? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance...

Re: Best Desktop Environment for Light Weight Ubuntu Linux

I think you should have a look at some of the similar topics, you may find what you are looking for :
    Best Desktop Environment of Linux
    Change Desktop Environment in linux?
    Installing The Sugar Desktop Environment On Ubuntu 9.04
    I think Gnome is a light desktop environment and it would work with most of the old computer... If any problem, do post back...

EDE or Equinox Desktop Environment is a small desktop environment that is meant to be light in weight simple and fast. Previous versions which is 1.x versions were based on a tweaked version of FLTK called eFLTK and the later versions are based on FLTK's original version. I would recommend you to use this as it is an idol desktop environment for an old machine. This may help you build a light weight Ubuntu based Linux Operating System...

XFCE is a free software desktop environment for Unix and other Unix-like platforms like not only Linux, but also for Solaris and BSD. It is faster and lightweight, while still being visually appealing and easy to use. The current version, 4.6. It consists of separately packaged components that together provide the full functionality of the desktop environment, which can be removed after installation or selected during the installation itself. Xfce is mainly used for its ability to run a modern desktop environment on relatively modest hardware... Try it out...

I would recommend you try LXDE. LXDE is a free desktop environment for all platforms such as Linux or BSD except Windows. The name LXDE stands for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment". LX also means Linux. LXDE has a nice interface and has all the necessary features and components. Working with LXDE is easy even for computer beginners and familiar users into proprietary systems. LXDE was created in 2006 by Taiwanese developers Hong Yen Jee aka PCMan to life and is due to its international community translates into many languages. See this for more details : LXDE Desktop Environment
    To get help on how to install LXDE see this : Install LXDE in Ubuntu 9.10