Thread: The Underlying Task Reported Failure On Exit

The Underlying Task Reported Failure On Exit

Hi,

I have a mac pc. I had just ran 'verify disk', I get the message: Disk Utility stopped repairing "System" because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure on exit. Can someone please explain what this means in real simple terms?I dont get it what it means, is it that bad or what stilll my computer look fine can someone help

Re: The Underlying Task Reported Failure On Exit

If you try to verify a volume that is not your startup disk but for some reason Disk Utility can't unmount the volume, you need to run DiskWarrior, It can repair most types of directory damage. The drive's directory is damaged and needs repair. Disk Utility isn't good at this.

You always get the "failed on Exit message" if, you run Repair Disk while booted from the operating system on your hard disk or Boot from another disk or CD, but run the Disk Utility application physically located on the hard disk you are trying to repair. The presence of these files doesn't cause an issue because their in-memory size is correct. These files are deleted as soon as they are closed.

Disk Utility can verify your startup disk of your computer (volume) without the introduction of another volume. This feature is called "Live verification." During a live check, disk utility progress indicator may stop moving, open applications can act slowly or not responding, the progress pointer may appear, or your computer may appear to stop responding ( "freeze"). If you can determine what files are open in the disc to verify or repair, restart your computer and then mount it again, or boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD or CD to repair.