Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Display Problem

Ubuntu 9.10 Display Problem

I have a computer with a not so bad configuration but still Ubuntu has a lot of display problems. I dunno what to do with Ubuntu 9.10 Display Problem. There are all colored lines and distorted image like stuffs appearing every now and then. I have Ati Radeon Graphics Cards. Can anyone help me?

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Display Problem

AMD took over ATI and they dropped support for all the older graphics drivers which were developed before may. Anyways, Which drivers are you using, are you using the drivers which were installed by Ubuntu or have you installed the divers from AMD's website or driver CD? Do post back...

You need to wait for sometime till the updates releases. Ati drivers are facing a problem which seems to be a bug. It will hopefully be fixed in the new updates. If you have installed Restricted Driver that is if you have installed other driver then which Ubuntu installed by itself, try removing this driver. That may solve your problem. Hope this helps...

There is a guide which will show you how to use the Free, Open Source driver for many ATI graphics cards called "radeon" or "ati" on the Ubuntu Website. It will provide 2D and 3D acceleration in your video hardware. This driver is not as fast as the closed-source, proprietary "fglrx" driver from AMD/ATI Inc. for some cards, but has better dual-head support, and supports some older chipsets that fglrx does not. : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Thank you all for the replies. I am just checking the Ubuntu's website. Lets see if that helps me. Thanks again...

Hey, There is a solution for it. You will have to disable all the desktop effects before you can proceed. Now you need to shutdown GDM and switch into CLI mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 key. Now type the following :
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    This will shutdown GDM and now type :
    Code:
    sudo nano ~/xorg.conf.new
    This will open the xorg configuration file. Add the end of the file just before "EndSection" add this line as it is : Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Now Copy this configuration to the original file by typing :
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Now start X server :
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Hope this helps...