Thread: Rpm Vs Yum Linux

Rpm Vs Yum Linux

I recently got high configuration computer and i have installed Redhat on my system and i wanted to know the difference between RPM and yum linux. There are many user uses yum instead of RPM. Can any one tell me what are benefits of yum over RPM.

Re: Rpm Vs Yum Linux

Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems. Yum tool for Red hat linux and Fedora Linux. To install a new package on a Linux system using yum, use the yum install command. It is a complete software management system. Other option is to use up2date utility. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what things should occur to install packages. Yum has a plugin interface for adding simple features. Yum can also be used from other python programs via its module interface.

RPM (RPM Package Manager) is a popular utility for installing software on Unix-like systems, particularly Red Hat Linux.Actually, you shouldn't confuse RPM with yum or up2date. Both yum and up2date are methods to fetch RPM-files from the net and install them.

RPM is a very useful tool and, as you can see, has several options. Yum does all the dependancies for you straight from the command line, it just makes everything easier. Using YUM (Yellow dog Updated Modified) you can update Red Hat Linux.Rpm is a powerful Package Manager, which can be used to build, install, query, verify, update, and erase individual software packages.