Thread: Install LXDE in Ubuntu 9.10

Install LXDE in Ubuntu 9.10

Install LXDE in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. I have been using Ubuntu from the time they had their version 6.04. I have been quite pleased to see the new Ubuntu 9.10 with ext4 file system and grub2 boot loader. But sadly after i installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my computer, I just fried my RAM. I think i will have to use a Light-weight Operating System or i am thining of installing LXDE on my Ubuntu 9.10. Is it possible? If yes, please guide me through the process. I hope i find proper help. Thanks in advance...

Re: Install LXDE in Ubuntu 9.10

Open the following file with Admininistrators [Root] rights /etc/apt/sources.list and add the following lines :

Hardy Users will need to add these lines :

Gutsy Users will need to add these lines :

Once you are done with the editing, save the changes and close the file. Now open Synaptic Package Manager. Search for "lxde" and install it. Make sure you are connected to the internet while installing LXDE as the packages will be downloaded from the internet. Hope this helps...

You can also install LXDE from command prompt. After you have added the source in the package manager or the file as mentioned in the above reply by Rudra.J, you can also open terminal and type the following :
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    Once the Packages have upto date information, and the process completes, install LXDE by typing the following :
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install lxde

Thanks for the quick replies, but i cannot install LXDE on my ocmputer, My ubuntu version is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. Any help with this version? I hope i get the replies the same way as i got it before. Thanks again...

I did not read your question properly, I'm sorry about that. Ok, Now you have to remove the lines you added to the file after reading my above post. Those are not required in Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala. Now just open the terminal and type the following :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg lxde
    If that gives you some error, use this before trying the above command again :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde

Here's what's happening

sudo apt-get install xorg lxde

ubuntu9.10karmickoala@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install xorg lxde

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

xorg is already the newest version.

E: Couldn't find package lxde

ubuntu9.10karmickoala@ubuntu:~$