Thread: the program "npviewer.bin" closed unexpectedly

the program "npviewer.bin" closed unexpectedly

After updating my system from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10, I have been getting an error message dialogue box saying :
    Sorry, the program "npviewer.bin" closed unexpectedly
    if you were not doing anything confidential (entering passwords or other private information), you can help to improve the application by reporting the problem.
    Ignore future crashes of this program version
    can anyone tell me how to avoid this problem and what might have caused this problem?

Re: the program "npviewer.bin" closed unexpectedly

The npviewer.bin is a plugin wrapper for Adobe Flash player. This error might occur when viewing some specific flash content of a website. I think the easiest way to solve this problem is to reinstall the flash player plugin. If you do not have the flash player plugin already installed, you can download it from adobe's website. Hope this helps...

I already have the flash player plugin installed on my ubuntu system for firefox. It doesn't crash always. The crash occurs on around 20 minutes after i start using firefox. I have never encountered this kind of error before. Is it a bug? If yes are there any fixes released? I have not checked for ubuntu updates since i installed it. Do you think i should go forward with the update?

Do you get the crashes after a fixed interval of time or when you vistit a specific website? There are some websites which have malicious flash based content which try to access information from your computer without your knowledge. I think this might be causing the firefox to crash. Does the firefox crash? or you just recieve the error message?

It is very uncertain when the crash occurs. I have not noticed it in so much detail. I think i get this error when i visit a couple of website. Also the firefox brower is not at trouble. It crashes sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I now know that this problem is crashing firefox. Thanks for that. Also do you suggest me to update my system? Ubuntu on my system hasn't seen update since the day it is released...

You can update your system anytime. It is better if you keep your system to auto update mode. Also if you are not planning to update your system, can download the newer version of firefox. Version 3.5.4 is currently the latest one. After you install firefox, install flash player plugin and check if you have problems with any website? All the best!