Thread: How to encrypted and compressed files on NTFS

How to encrypted and compressed files on NTFS

Hi,

I have a windows xp and I have a problem with encryption on NTFS. I'm using the raw data structures NTFS to copy the contents of a file in another file. I'm going through the tracks of data and copy the contents of the set to another file. It works for normal files, but if you encrypt a file or fails as a new file has no value (attributes) of system files that indicate that this file is encrypted or compressed. So the file system treats this file as a normal and does not decode or decompress to read the new file. So can you tell me how to encrypted and compressed files on NTFS, so that the new file will behave as the original file. Can anyone tell me how can I get it?

Re: How to encrypted and compressed files on NTFS

As per microsoft, you may notice a decrease in performance when you work with NTFS-compressed files. When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it for you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This process may decrease your computer performance. NTFS-compressed files and folders only remain compressed while they are stored on an NTFS Volume. You cannot encrypt an NTFS-compressed file.

NTFS compression has the following operating features. When you copy or move a compressed NTFS file to a different folder, NTFS decompresses the file, copy / move the file to the new location, and then re-compress the file. This behavior occurs even when the file is copied or moved between folders on the same computer.

To encrypted and compressed files on NTFS, use the Extraction Wizard and follow these steps below:
    1. Double-click the compressed folder to open it. The Extract all files command appears in the Folder Tasks list.
    2. Click Extract all files to start the Extraction Wizard, and then click Next to start the extraction process.
    3. When asked to select a location to place the extracted files, select a location and then click Next. By default, the Show extracted files is checked.
    4. Click Finish to view the extracted files.

While encrypting or decrypting a files on NTFS, you need to set the encryption property for folders and files just as any other attribute set to read only, compressed, or hidden. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If you encrypt a folder, all files and subfolders created in the encrypted folder are automatically encrypted. It is recommended that you encrypt at the folder level.