Thread: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows Vista stops at 62%

Upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows Vista stops at 62%

I am having 2 computers at my home one is Windows 7 and another is Vista. I decided to upgrade the Vista computer to Windows 7 as well, as it is officially released. But due to some reason the updates hangs itself at 62%. I tried it two times but the update is not able to cross the 62 % completion. Many of my friends trying to update Vista to Windows 7 faced this problem. Do anyone of you guys have any idea about this error ? Please help me out of this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows Vista stops at 62%

Yeah, many users are facing this problem while updating their Vista operating system to Windows 7 and it is due to service called Iphlpsvc. If Iphlpsvc service stops responding during the process, the upgrade stops as well. iphlpsvc service basically provides automatic IPv6 connectivity over an IPv4 network. If this service is stopped, the machine will only have IPv6 connectivity if it is connected to a native IPv6 network. According to Microsoft there are also other services that may cause a problem in which the upgrade process stops responding at 62%.

You can use the Microsoft's Fix It service to fix this issue or else try these steps to resolve this problem yourself:-

1. Restart the computer. Then, your computer will roll back to Windows Vista.

2. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.

3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.

4. Under System variables, click New.

5. Type MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS in the Variable name field.

6. Type IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll in the Variable value field.

7. Click OK three times to close the dialog boxes.

8. Start the upgrade installation again.

iphlpsvc is one of the services that has been identified to be able to cause the issue of Windows Upgrade. Try Microsoft Fix It by clicking here. This Fix it Solution automates setting a system variable to ignore the IphlpsvcM.

You may also see a log file in the X:\WINDOWS directory. The Setupact.log file in this directory contains information about the progress of the initial options that are selected on the Windows Vista installation screen. To open the setupact.log file during the upgrade process, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt, type C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log, and then press ENTER.

To open the setupact.log file after the computer rolls back to Windows Vista, click Start, type C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.