Thread: D-link dwa-160 Problem for windows 7

D-link dwa-160 Problem for windows 7

Hi
    I have recently upgraded my system from windows xp to windows 7. Windows 7 has quite cool graphics. I use d-link dwa-160 dual band network adapter. The d-link dwa-160 does not work on the windows 7. It worked in windows xp, but now on windows 7 its giving a problem. The adapter was disabled from sharing and network center. Windows is giving a error that it could not bind the IP address to the network adapter. Any advice.

Re: D-link dwa-160 Problem for windows 7

I think the main issue here is incompatible drivers and / or incorrect network settings. Try upgrading the network adapter drivers for windows 7, if not available you can download drivers for windows xp in compatible mode. You can even try bypassing the router and connect directly through wired cable. I think this should solve the problem.

Some more options to try are turn off the firewall on the computer and router just for testing purpose. Try assigning a static IP and DNS. For assigning a static IP address goto network places, select the network you use, right click and select properties. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and goto its properties. There you can assign the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS. If even these do not work plz feel free to post again.

Thanks for your suggestions. I disabled my upgraded the network adapter drivers for windows 7 and assigned a static IP for my computer. I was successful and I am connected now. Thanks once again.

D-link dwa-160 Ver A1:

Has anyone had success using the D-link DWA-160 H/W A1 on Windows 7 x64 OS yet? I know its an Atheros chip set, not sure what the chip number is or the driver required to run it on Windows 7.

I too use a DWA-160 and upgraded from XP Pro to Win7 and I'm now getting problems with this device.

On XP the DWA-160 worked perfectly but now on Win7 I'm getting frequent disconnects from the network. The router I am using is a DLINK DIR-655 and I've set it up so that the system with DWA-160 is assigned a permanent IP address.

When it does get disconnected I can see the light on the DWA-160 is still flashing and the only way it seems to reconnect is to unplug the DWA-160 and re-insert it after which it automatically reconnects to the network.

Quote Originally Posted by cssaus View Post
    I too use a DWA-160 and upgraded from XP Pro to Win7 and I'm now getting problems with this device.

On XP the DWA-160 worked perfectly but now on Win7 I'm getting frequent disconnects from the network. The router I am using is a DLINK DIR-655 and I've set it up so that the system with DWA-160 is assigned a permanent IP address.

When it does get disconnected I can see the light on the DWA-160 is still flashing and the only way it seems to reconnect is to unplug the DWA-160 and re-insert it after which it automatically reconnects to the network.
    Thanks, I called D-Link and they told me an updated driver is atleast a month away. I however can't even find a driver that works at all. What driver are you using? My router is a DIR-825.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    Thanks, I called D-Link and they told me an updated driver is atleast a month away. I however can't even find a driver that works at all. What driver are you using? My router is a DIR-825.
    My router is a DLINK DIR-655.

My DWA-160 wireless adapter is a REV A. model and I'm using the drivers that came on the supplied CD that I used with XP. I too also noted there doesn't appear to be any recent updates for it although there is for a REV B. model.

The Microsoft Windows 7 hardware compatibility site says "coming soon" .

In fact most of DLINK's wireless adaptors are listed as either "coming soon" or "not compatible"

Starting to think about ditching it for something a little bit more reliable.

The other thing that I don't like is that when you boot up it takes a while before connectivity is established with the network but in the meantime other boot-up tasks wanting network access have started and put error messages about not being able to connect to the network. The GMAIL notifier task is a classic example.
    Last edited by cssaus; 06-12-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: add additional info.

I had the same problem as you ".. cannot bind IP Stack bl bla bla"

Tried everything from drivers to hotfixes.

My solution: Update the bios on my ASUS P7P55D