Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to DSL

Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to DSL

Hello everyone, I have this computer where i just clean installed Ubuntu 9.10. The new Ubuntu is so fast. Its awesome with few little changes and a lot of eye candy without eating much resources. This new OS is just awesome. I'm already in love this Ubuntu 9.10. The problem is a bit serious and if it isn't solved i will have to ditch this OS and will have to go back to Ubuntu 9.04. The problem is that Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to DSL. I created the connection several times and deleted the same and tried again and again and again, but it just doesn't work. Does anyone have any workaround? Thanks in advance...

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to DSL

Hey, I too have this same problem. I've no idea yet on how to solve this, but haven't succeeded at it. I hope there is a work around for this problem. Ubuntu cannot ignore this problem as its a major issue with most people using DSL or PPPoE internet service and this problem will stop their machine from connecting to the internet! I mean What the heck? Ubuntu has always been quick at solving bugs and i am surprised this issue is still not solved? Even if there is a fix, how can you download the update when your internet connection is broken? There must be some work around to get connected to the internet... If any has any idea/suggestion/advice, do post...

Try a around over here, and see if it works. Open Terminal and type :
    Code:
    sudo pppoeconf
    Followed the guided instruction and provide proper details. After the configuration wizard completes,Your modem must be Ethernet. Hope this Helps...

The problem may be in "/etc/resolv.conf". Try editing this file and adding proper details in there like if you have a static IP, try adding it in your Connecting from Network manager and then in this file, add proper DNS address. But before editing this file you need to provide it with permissions for you to access it. Open terminal and type :
    Code:
    chmod a+r /etc/resolv.conf
    Then see if you can get Ubuntu 9.10 to connect to the internet...

Its a bug in Karmic. Have a look at the bug registered with launchpad : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/438771. This bug is in Network Manager and pppoeconf seems to be a workaround for this bug. If you still have any problems do post back... I have Ubuntu 9.10 too, but mine is a Direct Internet Line that comes from a router so i think i did not encounter this problem... All the best!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    Its a bug in Karmic. Have a look at the bug registered with launchpad : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/438771. This bug is in Network Manager and pppoeconf seems to be a workaround for this bug. If you still have any problems do post back... I have Ubuntu 9.10 too, but mine is a Direct Internet Line that comes from a router so i think i did not encounter this problem... All the best!!
    Hey, Thanks for the link... I just went through its and a bug. They have marked the bug as solved. Well if i don't have internet connection how am i suppose to update the Network Manager? I think i will have to use a router for a while so that i get internet through the direct LAN connection... Thanks again...