Thread: Windows Server 2003 can not start on Dual Booting system

Windows Server 2003 can not start on Dual Booting system

Hi, i am a Windows Xp user but i having a problem which is configured for dual booting. The said computer is having Windows Xp and Windows Server 2003 but i am not able to start Windows Server 2003 on the same computer whereas windows Xp works fine. I tried to find out the issue but not succeeded. Do you guys have any idea what might be the cause of this error? Also make me know how can i fix this problem ? Thanks for your kindness.

Re: Windows Server 2003 can not start on Dual Booting system

Most probably this problem occurs when you are dual booting Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 and you installed Windows XP after you installed Windows Server 2003. Windows XP does not detect the additional startup features of Windows Server 2003. As a result, it replaces the shared Windows boot files. To resolve this problem, you need to replace the Windows Server 2003 Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files. Ntdetect.com is a component of Microsoft Windows NT-based operating systems that is used during the Windows NT startup process, and is responsible for detecting basic hardware that will be required to start the operating system.

In order to replace the Windows Server 2003 Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, just go through these steps:-

• Start to the Recovery Console, type fixboot at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

• If the Recovery Console does not appear, use one of the following methods to start the computer so that you can gain access to the file system of the boot partition:

• Specify another operating system on the Boot menu.
      • Start from the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM, and then at the Windows Setup screen, press R to use the Recovery Console to repair the Windows installation.
      • Use a Windows NT 4.0 boot disk that also contains the Windows Server 2003 boot files.
      • If your boot partition is a basic disk that is formatted with the FAT file system, use an MS-DOS boot disk.

• Copy the Ntldr file and the Ntdetect.com file from the I386 folder on the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM to the root folder of your boot drive (this is typically drive C).

If you are using MS-DOS to perform this file replacement, you may have to use the attrib command to remove the System attribute, the Read-only attribute, and the Hidden attribute from the files. To do so, type the following command lines at the MS-DOS command prompt, and then press ENTER after each line:
    • Code:
      attrib ntdetect.com -r -s -h
    • Code:
      attrib ntldr -r -s -h